Common cold is infection of upper respiratory tract (nose, pharynx, larynx and trachea). It is infectious disease which is common throughout year with weather changes.. The symptom for common cold is running and stuffy nose, headache, sore throat, coughing and mild fever. In such infections large amount of cough or phlegm is produced with sputum. Sputum consists of pus, microorganism, germs and mucus. Body tries to expel it through coughing.
Allopathic medicines for common cold include cough syrups, paracetamol and expectorants. No doubt these are effective but you may suffer from their side effects. For example cough syrups causes drowsiness and you cannot use paracetamol or crocin for long duration due to negative effect on body organs.
There are few herbal Ayurvedic preparations that you can use in case of common cold. These are prepared from medicinal herbs so does not pose health risks if taken in recommended doses.
Ayurvedic medicines for Common cold, cough
- Mix powder of Sonth (dry ginger powder), Long pepper(pippali) and kali mirch (Piper nigrum) in equal amount. This powder is known as Trikatu churna. Lick 1 gm of this with honey.
- All the three ingredients does not pose any health risk. The combination of these three herbs is antibacterial and beneficial in cold, cough and fever. Piper longum and nigrum contain alkaloid piperine as chief constituent along with flavonoids, tannins, lignins and steroids so this churna offers broad spectrum antimicrobial properties. Pippali has immuno modulator activity and rejuvenating effect on digestive and respiratory system and it is antibacterial against various bacteria. This churna helps to stimulate natural body immunity to fight infections.
- For chronic cough and sputum (balgam in hindi) you can mix 20 gm each of Trikatu churna, Sitopaladi churna, Swasari ras, 5 gm each of Abhrak Bhasma and Prawal pisthi, 10 gm of Amrita sat. Take one gram of this twice a day an hour before meal with honey. This helps to cure chronic cough, cold and nazala.
- Take chayanprash one spoon twice a day. This helps to improve body immunity to fight infections.
- You can chew few basil leaves in the morning and drink turmeric milk (haldi wala doodh).
- Avoid cold water and deep fried food.