Prak 20 is a patent and proprietary Ayurvedic medicine prepared by Bharat Bhaishajya Shala Private Limited, Dehradun, under Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) certificate issued by Department of AYUSH provincial government of Uttarakhand. It is a herbo-mineral Ayurvedic formulation used in the treatment of liver ailments. It contains 19 herbs and Mandoor Bhasma. It has hepatoprotective effect and anti-fibrotic properties. It helps in fast recovery of acute viral hepatitis. It is based on classical Ayurvedic medicine Punarnavadi Mandur.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Ingredients of Prak-20
- Sunthi Zingiber officinale 12.5mg
- Maricha Piper nigrum 12.5mg
- Pippali Piper longum (fruit) 12.5mg
- Haritaki Terminalia chebulia 12.5mg
- Vibhitaki Termnallia bellirica 12.5mg
- Amalki Emblica officinalis 12.5mg
- Chitraka Plumbago zeylanica 12.5mg
- Musta Cyperus rotundus 12.5mg
- Katuki Picrorrhiza kurroa 12.5mg
- Devadaru Cedrus deodara 12.5mg
- Vidanga Embellia ribes 12.5mg
- Kulu(Kushta) Saussuria lappa 12.5mg
- Haridra Curcuma longa 12.5mg
- Daruharidra Berberis aristata 12.5mg
- Danti Baliospermum montanum 12.5mg
- Indrayav Holarrhena antidysentrica (seeds) 12.5mg
- Pippali mula Piper longum 12.5mg
- Trivrit Ipomoea turpethum 12.5mg
- Punarnava Boerhavia diffusa 25.0mg
- Mandoor Bhasma Ferric Oxide 250mg
Trikatu is combination of dry ginger, black pepper and long pepper (Sonth + Pippali + Kali mirch). It is effective for burning ama (metabolic waste and toxins) which is the prime cause of all disease. It supports better digestion and cures constipation. It stimulates the liver to secrete bile which is vital for fat digestion and absorption. It also balances Kapha.
Triphala (Amal + Harad + Baheda) is used extensively in Ayurveda for treatment of digestive diseases. It is a tonic for whole body. It has been used in various gastric disorders including intestinal inflammation. Amla, has significant acid lowering, cooling and anti-ulcer properties. Triphala is rich source of tannins, which is known to affect the integrity of mucus membrane. Tannins with their protein precipitating and vasoconstriction effects could be advantageous in preventing ulcer development.
Kutki has shown choleretic hepatoprotective, neuroprotective and immunostimulant properties.
Haldi is antioxidant, hepatoprotective, anti-inflammatory, anticarcinogenic, and antimicrobial properties, in addition it is also used in cardiovascular disease and gastrointestinal disorders.
Amla is found effective against inflammation, cancer, age-related renal disease, hepatitis and diabetes.
Vidang possess analgesic, antipyretic, antibacterial, antifertility and anthelminthic activities. It is also useful in jaundice and as a hepatoprotective agent.
Pippalamula is used as cholagogue in obstruction of bile duct and gall bladder.
Mandoor Bhasma is prepared from iron rust (Mandur) by complex Ayurvedic procedure. Chemically, it is oxide of iron formed gradually over the years by action of atmosphere on the waste of iron. It is the combination of Ferric Oxide (59.14%), Ferrous Oxide (26.7%), Chlorides (4.4%), Magnesium (3.9%), Sodium (1.7%) and few other trace elements. Its Purification (Shodhana) is carried out by heating and quenching in cow urine seven times.
Mandura Bhasma has hepatoprotective, anti-toxic and anti-inflammatory activity in liver. It is a powerful hematinic and is valuable in the treatment of hemolytic jaundice and microlytic anemia.
Benefits of Prak-20
- It has strong hepatoprotection properties.
- It improves liver and kidney function.
- It supports liver rejuvenation.
- It arrests necrosis and degeneration and helps in regeneration of hepatocytes.
- It gives relief in enlargement of liver and spleen.
- It is cholagogue/ promotes the discharge of bile from the system, purging it downward.
- It is hepatoprotective, anti-fibrotic, detoxifying, anti-inflammatory, anti-nauseant, anti-spasmodic, appetizer and carminative.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Prak-20
- Pleeha vriddhi (Spleen enlargement)
- Yakrit vriddhi (Liver enlargement)
- Kamala (Jaundice)
- Shotha (Oedema)
- Pandu, Raktaksaya (Anemia)
- Acute viral hepatitis
- Alcoholic liver disease
- Cirrhosis of liver
Dosage of Prak-20
One capsule three times a day or as directed by physician.
Many experimental and clinical studies have been carried on this product at leading institutes in India. It has depicted hepato protective properties against CCl4 (Three studies) and anti-fibrotic against thioacetamide (One study). In a double blind randomized controlled clinical studies it has shown significant effects in improving uremia and hypoproteinemia and reducing the recovery period of acute viral hepatitis. It also is able to reverse drug induced hepatitis.
Chronic toxicity studies have been found that Prak-20 does not exhibit any side effects up to 300 times of the normal dose.
- Prakash, V.B. and Mukherjee, A Hepatoprotective Effect of an Ayurvedic Formulation Prak-20 in CCl4 60. Chaudhary, A., Prakash, B., Scientific Validated Approach For Application of Mandura Bhasma: A Review, Electronic J of Pharmacology and Therapy.
- A Double Blind, Randomized, Comparative Evaluation of Efficacy of Prak-20 and Garlic in Oral Submucous Fibrosis – A Preliminary Study Rajeshwari G. Annigeri, Manisha Jadhav.