Table of Contents
- 1 Ingredients of Arjunarishta
- 2 Why Arjuna is good for the heart?
- 3 Biomedical Action
- 4 Health Benefits of Arjunarishta
- 5 Therapeutic uses of Arjunarishta
- 6 The Dosage of Arjunarishta
Arjunarishta is an Ayurvedic medicine for cardiovascular diseases and respiratory disorders. The main active ingredient of this medicine is bark of Arjuna Tree which is magical herb for controlling blood pressure, cholesterol level and also for strengthening heart muscles for proper functioning of heart.
Arjunarishta is also shows beneficial effects in bleeding disorders and bleeding dysentery.
- Reference Text: Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Hridya rogadhikara
- Synonyms: Parthadyarishtam, Partharishtam, Parthadyarishta
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Nature of Product: Self-generated alcoholic preparation
- Main Indication: All type of Heart Diseases
- Suitable for: Unisex
- Unsuitable for: Diabetic person
- Dosha Effect: Reduces Pitta
- Description: Clear brown liquid without frothing and significant sedimentation; with aromatic odour and astringent taste.
- Storage: Store in a cool place in a tightly closed amber colored bottle, protect from light and moisture.
Ingredients of Arjunarishta
Arjunarishta is a fermented liquid preparation made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below. It contains not more than 10 percent, and not less than 5 percent of alcohol that is self-generated in the preparation over a period of time.
- Partha (Arjuna) Terminalia arjuna St. Bk. 4.8 kg
- Mridvika (Draksha) Vitis vinifera Fr. 2.4 kg
- Madhupushpa (Madhuka) Madhuca indica Fl. 960 g
- Jala for decoction Water 49.152 liter reduced to 12.288 liter
- Dhataki Woodfordia fruticosa Fl. 960 g
- Guda Jaggery 4.8 kg
Method of preparation
Take the raw materials of pharmacopoeial quality.
Wash, dry and powder the ingredient numbered 1 (Kvatha Dravya) of the formulation composition and pass through the sieve number 44 to obtain a coarse powder. Wash and clean the ingredient number 4 and 5 (Kvatha Dravya) of the formulation composition.
Add the specified amount of water to the Kvatha Dravya, soak overnight, heat, reduce to one fourth and filter through a muslin cloth to obtain Kvatha.
Add the ingredient number 6 of the formulation composition to the Kvatha, allow to dissolve and filter through the muslin cloth.
Transfer the filtrate to a clean container;add Dhataki and seal the mouth of the container. Shift the container to the fermentation room and constantly check for the signs of completion of the fermentation process.
Filter the fermented material through a clean muslin cloth.
Pack in airtight containers and allow for maturation.
Know the ingredients
1- Arjuna Tree Bark : Latin name of Arjun tree is Terminalia arjuna. This medicinal tree is native to India and used since time immemorial to treat cardiovascular disorders including angina pectoris, congestive heart failure, left ventricular mass and hyperlipidaemia, coronary artery disease, hypertension, hypercholesterolaemia and dropsy. For the medicinal purpose the bark of the tree is used. The main constituents of the bark are triterpenoid saponins, arjunic acid, arjunolic acid, arjungenin, arjun glycosides, high levels of flavonoids (arjunone, arjunolone, luteolin and quercetin), polyphenols (gallic acid, ellagic acid) and oligomeric proanthocyanidins.
The bark of Arjun is astringent, sweet, acrid, cooling, aphrodisiac, urinary astringent, and expectorant. It is a cardiotonic and improves blood supply to heart. It is also in ulcer treatment, fractures, cirrhosis of the liver, ischaemic heart disease, and hypertension. It may also affect thyroid function, and helps in both hyper or hypo activity.
Clinical studies also confirm the benefits of Arjuna for the heart. In a controlled clinical study 12 patients with severe refractory congestive heart failure (class IV NYHA) received an extract (500 mg every 8 hours) from the bark of Terminalia arjuna or placebo for 2 weeks. Those receiving the medicinal plant experienced, according to echocardiographic evaluation, statistically significant improvements in several parameters of cardiac function, such as end-systolic volume and left ventricular ejection fraction. Another study done on animal exhibited, various extracts caused lowered blood pressure, bradycardia and positively inotropic effects in animal experiments.
Why Arjuna is good for the heart?
- It is a cardio protective and cardio-tonic.
- It is useful in all types of heart disorders.
- It helps in uneasiness and palpitation.
- It gives relief from frequent angina pain.
- It helps to lower high cholesterol level.
- It stimulates the heart.
- It increases circulation.
- It nourishes heart muscle.
- It help to regulates heartbeat.
- It helps to prevent arterial clogging, reduces blood clots, reverses hardening of the blood vessels.
- It lowers the blood pressure in hypertension. But it does not mean it will also reduce blood pressure in normal blood pressure person. In normotensive person it has no effect.
Arjuna is especially effective when cardiac disease is with edema. It has a high amount of calcium salts and this helps in case of bone fractures. Arjuna can be taken as a tonic and also along with allopathic medicines.
2- Draksha (big grapes) Vitis vinifera, has nutritious, sweet, laxative, demulcent, hematinic, hemostatic, cooling and expectorant properties. Draksha is indicated in cough, asthma, bronchitis, affections of eyes and throat, Bright’s disease, gout, jaundice, thirst, heat of the body, cough, hoarseness and general debility.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Anti-obesity: Reducing or controlling obesity.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Antispasmodic: Used to relieve spasm of involuntary muscle.
- Cardiac: Related to heart.
- Cardioprotective: Protects heart.
- Hypolipidemic: Lowers lipid level in blood.
Health Benefits of Arjunarishta
The oral administration of Arjunarishta has many health benefits including:
- Arjunarishta has raktastambhak property/reduces blood flow in case of bleeding and it is also indicated in bleeding disorders and bleeding dysentery.
- It helps to reduce bad cholesterol and triglycerides level.
- It improves capacity and efficiency of lungs.
- It normalise cardiac function.
- It nourishes and strengthens heart muscle.
- It promotes cardiac functioning by regulating blood pressure and cholesterol.
- It protects heart/cardio protective.
- It shows beneficial effects in mild blockage.
- It supports better digestion.
- It is a tonic medicine.
Therapeutic uses of Arjunarishta
Arjunarishta is a very famous Ayurvedic tonic for the heart. The principle ingredient in this medicine is Arjun bark. This medicine is indicated in diseases of heart, blood-pressure, palpitation, lungs, cardiac and pulmonary disorders and heart weakness. It is used as Heart Tonic and cardiac stimulant.
- Chest pain or discomfort due to coronary heart disease (Angina pectoris)
- Excessive sweating
- Heart palpitation, irregular heartbeat (Cardiac arrhythmia)
- High Blood Pressure
- Weakness of heart
- Azoospermia (absence of motile/viable sperm in the semen)
- Loss of immunity
- Lung diseases
- Mouth dryness
The Dosage of Arjunarishta
- It is Asava-Arishta type of medicine of Ayurveda.
- It is taken in a dose of 12 ml to 24 ml twice daily.
- It is taken after mixing with an equal amount of water.
- It should be taken after having breakfast and dinner.
- Or should be taken as directed by a doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
- It contains about 5 to 10% of self-generated alcohol.
- It is safe medicine without any known side-effect.
- Do not take any medicine during pregnancy without consulting doctor.
- It has blood thinning properties.
- It contains jaggery and dry grapes hence it is not suitable for a diabetic person.
- It is a highly recommended to regularly check the blood pressure.
- It is safe to take this medicine for a longer duration.
Where to buy
- You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
- Baidyanath Arjunarishta Price: 680 ml @ Rs. 164.00; 450 ml @ Rs. 120.00; 225 ml @ Rs.73.00
- Dabur Arjunarishta, 450 ml @ Rs. 120.00
- Zandu Arjunadyarishta Price: 450 ml @ Rs. 110.00
- Sandu Arjunarishta
- Divya Pharmacy Arjunarishta 500 ml @ Rs. 80.00 and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.