Table of Contents
Zandu Pancharishta is an herbal Ayurvedic Digestive Tonic from Zandu pharmaceutical. It is herbal liquid medicine based on Asava Arishtha principle of Ayurveda. Zandu Pancharishta is a very popular medicine and you may have seen its commercials on television as a digestive tonic which gives relief in various common digestive ailments. It is a very old and one of the signature product to treat various digestive problems. It is very reliable, effective and safe Ayurvedic remedy.
Asava and Arishtha are Ayurvedic medicines prepared by fermentation. These are medicated spirituous liquors. The powdered herbs (for Asava) or the decoction of herbs (for Arishta), and Dhataki Pushpa are soaked in a solution of Jaggery or Sugar or Honey for specified period of time in wooden vessels. The soaking causes fermentation which generates alcohol which in turn extracts the active constituent of medicinal herbs. The self-generated alcohol also helps in better and rapid absorption of drug in body. Asava and Arishtha are stomachic, stimulant, astringent and tonic.
Pancharishta works on the entire digestive system. It builds digestive immunity and reduces the recurrence of digestive problems like acidity, gas, indigestion, flatulence, bloating, abdominal pain and constipation.
Here is given complete list of ingredient, botanical name of herbs their effects, benefits, therapeutic uses, side-effects and dosage.
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Proprietary Medicine
- Brand: Zandu pharmaceutical Pvt. Ltd. (In year 2008, co-founders the Vaidya family, and promoters of Zandu Pharmaceutical Works Ltd, sold its stake to Emami Ltd.)
- Main Indication: Common digestive ailments, as a digestive and a restorative tonic
- Suitable for: Adults, unisex
- Maximum Possible Dosage: 60 ml/day for adult
Zandu Pancharishta syrup Price MRP:
- 200 ml – Rupees 55.00
- 450 ml – Rupees 110.00
- 650 ml – Rupees 155.00
Complete list of Ingredient of Zandu Pancharishta
Composition (Each 100ml is prepared from) of Zandu Pancharishta:
- Draksha (Dried Grapes) Vitis vinifera 2.5g
- Kumari Aloe vera juice 2.5g
- Dashmoola (Combination of famous ten roots of Ayurveda) 2.0g
- Ashvagandha Withania somnifera 1.0g
- Shatavari Asparagus racemosus 1.0g
- Triphala (Combination of three herbs) 0.6g
- Guduchi Tinospora cordifolia 0.5g
- Bala Sida cordifolia 0.5g
- Yasti Madhu, Liquorice Glycerrhiza glabra 0.5g
- Trikatu (Combination of three herbs) 0.3g
- Trijat (Combination of three herbs) 0.3g
- Arjuna Terminalia arjuna 0.2g
- Manjistha Rubia Cordifolia 0.2g
- Ajamoda Apium Graveolens Linn 0.1g
- Dhanyaka Coriandrum sativum 0.1g
- Haridra Turmeric Curcuma Longa 0.1g
- Shati Hedychium spicatum 0.1g
- Sveta Jiraka Carum bulbocastanum 0.1g
- Lavanga Clove Syzygium aromaticum 0.1g
Know the Ingredients
Draksha is the dried mature fruits of Vitis vinifera or Angoor. It has cooling, laxative, demulcent/ relieve inflammation or irritation, rejuvenating, purifying, antispasmodic, digestive, stomachic and tonic. Draksha is useful in burning sensation, indigestion, constipation, anemia, colic, flatulence, vomiting, dyspepsia and general debility.
Ghrit kumari or Aloe Vera is rich in vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes and natural sugars. It is good for digestion and liver. It has mild laxative properties and used to treat constipation. It soothe the lining of the stomach and intestines. It helps in acid reflux, and stomach and duodenal ulcers. It is alkalinizing and can reduce the symptoms of excess stomach acid and reflux of stomach acid.
Dashmoola (Synonym: Dashmula, Dasmula) is combination of ten roots (Bilva, Agnimantha, Gambhari, Shyonak, Patala and Shalparni, Prishniparni, Brihati, Kantkari, Gokhru). It is extensively used in Ayurveda for treatment of variety of diseases including inflammation. It has significant antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity. Dashmoola have a balancing action on Kapha, Pitta and Vata doshas, and useful especially for Vata-vikar.
Dashmoola is useful in loss of appetite, excess wind in body, debility, poor digestion, and inflammation.
Ashwagandha / Withania somnifera / Indian ginseng / Indian winter cherry, has antidepressant effect on central nervous system. It has stimulant effect on brain and reduces anxiety and stress.
Ashwagandha and Satavari are rejuvenating agent. Both strengthen system and treats inflammation. Shatavari is particularly useful in treating diarrhea, stomach ulcers, hyperacidity, colitis, crohn’s disease, hyperacidity, ulcers and gastritis.
Triphala (Amla, Haritaki, Vibhitaki/Baheda) is used extensively in Ayurveda for treatment of digestive diseases. It is a tonic for whole body. It is being used in various gastric disorders including intestinal inflammation. Amla, has significant acid lowering, cooling and anti-ulcer properties. Triphala is rich source of tannins, which is known to affect the integrity of mucus membrane. Tannins with their protein precipitating and vasoconstriction effects could be advantageous in preventing ulcer development.
Triphala tones and strengthens digestive tract and promote regular and complete evacuation of the bowels. They also help increase the digestion, absorption and assimilation of nutrients from the food.
Guduchi / Giloy / Tinospora cordifolia, is recommended for diabetes, burning sensation, fever, edema etc. It has been scientifically validated in various animal models for hypoglycemic, immunomodulatory, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and other pharmacological activities. The aqueous and alcoholic extract of the plant has been shown to improve glucose tolerance. It has hypoglycemic, anti–oxidant and analgesic activity and reduces burning sensation. It helps to clean liver. It is broad spectrum pitta-reducing herb that destroys toxins and strengthens immunity.
Trikatu (Kali mirch, Pippali, Sunthi) promotes the production of digestive enzymes in stomach. It promotes digestive fire and ensure full digestion of food. It is effective for burning Ama (metabolic waste and toxins) which is the prime cause of all disease. It supports better digestion and cures constipation. It stimulates the liver to secrete bile which is vital for fat digestion and absorption. It also balances Kapha.
Trijat (Synonym: Trijata, Trijaat, Trikulu, Three Aromatics) is combination of Daalchini, Elaichi, Tejpatra (Cinnamon + Green Cardamom + Indian bay leaf). It is used to treat digestive and respiratory problems. Here it helps to improve appetite and helps in digestion.
Manjistha / Manjista / Manjishta / Indian Madder (Rubia cordifolia) root is sweet, bitter, acrid, astringent, thermogenic, anti-dysenteric, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, analgesic, anodyne, anthelmintic, antiseptic, constipating, diuretic, galactopurifier, rejuvenating and tonic.
It is useful in vitiated conditions of Kapha, the body fluid principles relates to mucus and pitta.
Ajmoda (Wild Celery Seeds) is used in treatment of digestive, respiratory, urinary and circulatory system. Since it increases bile, it is indicated in low appetite. It promotes digestion and assimilation. Due to its heating quality it shows beneficial effects in cold, cough, and fever. It kills parasitic worms in body. As it is warming and stimulating, it detoxifies body and burns Ama and used as preventive measure for gout and rheumatism.
Dhaneyaka, Dhanita, Dhanika, Dhaniyaka, Dhanya or Coriandrum sativum Linn. is cooling, alterative, antibilious, aphrodisiac, aromatic, carminative, diaphoretic, diuretic, stimulant, stomachic, diuretic and tonic. It s main herb for digestive problems and given in case of all Pitta disorders, burning, hay fever and as an antidotes hot pungent foods.
Jiraka is stimulant, carminative, lactogogue, diuretic and given in case of colitis, gas, digestion, abdominal pain and distention.
The combination as a whole has enhanced the therapeutic effectivity.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Antispasmodic: Used to relieve spasm of involuntary muscle.
- Appetizer: Improves appetite.
- Carminative: Preventing the formation or causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Digestive: helps in digestion of food.
- Laxative: Tending to stimulate or facilitate evacuation of the bowels.
- Restorative Tonic: helps to restore health and strength
Health Benefits of Zandu Pancharishta
- It helps to improve appetite.
- It supports better digestion due to presence of Dashmula, Trijat, Triphala, Dhanniya, safed Jira and lavang.
- It prevents formation of gas and gives relief in abdominal distention, bloating, flatulence and other related symptoms.
- It contains Draksha, Kumari, and Triphala which are well-known for their laxative property. Due to presence of such ingredients Pancharishta helps in proper evacuation and gives relief in constipation.
- It is a digestive tonic and promotes secretion of Pachak Ras and thus gives relief in indigestion, pain in abdomen, low appetite, weakness, acidity and flatulence.
- It should be taken in convalescence after prolonged illness.
- It works on root cause by revitalizing the overall digestive system and improves your appetite.
- It promotes better functioning of liver and secretion of digestive juice. Giloy is well known liver protecting drug of Ayurveda.
- It contains pungent and hot herbs such as Pippali, Kaali Mirch, Shunthi, which helps to destroy Ama. Ama is toxic waste produced in body due to incomplete digestion. It can also be defined as the unmetabolised waste that is not utilized by the body. It is sticky, heavy, viscous, slimy, unctuous, wet, cold, sweet and is the root cause of most of diseases in the body, resulting from excess Vayu or Kapha (or both). Ama Dosha in body causes blockage of the channels, mucus congestion, loss of strength, lack of movement and reverse flow of vata, accumulation of wastes, oedema, low digestive fire, bloating, constipation, itchy anus, thick tongue coating, sluggish and slippery pulse, lack of enthusiasm and stagnation in the tissues. If a person has Ama dosha, then he/she may have thick, white coating on tongue.
- It builds immunity and strengthens the digestive system.
- It has significant inflammation and gas reducing properties.
Therapeutic Uses / Indications of Zandu Pancharishta
- Zandu Pancharishta is an Ayurvedic digestive tonic which cures all digestive problems such as gas, flatulence, acidity, constipation, stomach pain, indigestion etc. It promotes better appetite, digestion, assimilation and evacuation. It has antioxidant properties and helps to improve overall health.
- Abdominal distension, bloating, flatulence, pain due to gas
- Anorexia, loss of appetite
- Constipation, incomplete evacuation of bowel
- Feeling of heaviness after having meals
- Frequent indigestion, incomplete digestion
- IBS Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Weakness of digestion
- Paleness, low hemoglobin level
- Poor health after certain diseases
How to take and Dosage
- Shake well before use and store away from direct sunlight.
- This medicine is suitable for adults and children above the age of twelve.
- As a general rule, do not give any herbal medicine which is meant to be used by adult person to children without consulting doctor.
- Take this medicine twice a day.
Adult should take 12-24 ml of this medicine and children above the age of 12 can be given half of the adult dosage. It is an Arishtha and should be taken after mixing with equal amount of water. It can be taken one or twice a day.
This is an herbal medicine and does not contain any harmful ingredient. Therefore it can be taken for longer duration.
In case of hyperacidity, take this medicine along with Ayurvedic medicines having cooling ad antacid properties such as Moti Pishti and Praval Pishthi. Amla Indian Gooseberry juice or powder is also excellent herbal adjuvant for hyperacidity and ulcers.
Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- This is herbal medicine. Therefore it is safe to take and does not have any known side-effects.
- It contains raisins and jaggery (used while preparation). Therefore it is not suitable for diabetic person.
- It contains self-generated Alcohol not more than 11.0% v/v.
- For hyperacidity, take along with other cooling medicines.
- Do not expect magic. Ayurvedic medicines takes time to correct the condition as they work on the root cause of the problem. Also try to find the real cause of recurrent digestive ailments.
Where to buy
This medicine is available in all major Ayurvedic and other chemist counters.
You may also buy this medicine online.