Ashtangavaleh is polyherbal semi-solid Ayurvedic formulation. This medicine is referenced from Ayurveda Sangraha and indicated in the treatment of phlegm and fever. Ashtangavaleha contains only herbal ingredients such as Trikatu, ginger juice, honey, etc. Here is given more about Ashtangavaleha such as indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
Key Ingredients of Ashtangavaleha
- Ashtangavaleha is prepared from following ingredients:-
- Katphala/ Kaifal Myrica nagi Fruit 1 part
- Pushkarmula/Pushkara Inula racemosa (Rt.) 1 part
- Sringi/Karkatashringi Pistacia integerrima (Gl.) 1 part
- Yamani/Yavani Trachyspermum ammi (Fr.) 1 part
- Karavi/Krishnajeerak/ Black Cumin Nigella sativa (Fr.) 1 part
- Shunti/Sonth Dried Zingiber officinalis (Rz.) 1 Part
- Maricha/ Kali Mirch Black pepper Piper nigrum (Fr.) 1 part
- Pippali/ Long pepper Piper longum (Fr.) 1 part
- Madhu/Honey 1 part
- Ardraka svarasa/fresh juice of ginger (Rz.) 1 part
Uses of Ashtangavaleha
Ashtangavaleha is a combination of Trikatu, Kaiphal, Yavni, Kala jeera, sringi, fresh ginger juice and honey. All these ingredients are well-known for reducing cough. This medicine is given to treat Vata Kapha Jvara (Fever due to Vata dosha and Kapha dosha), Kasa (Cough), Svasa (Dyspnoea/Asthma), Aruci (Tastelessness) and Chardi (Emesis).
The Dosage of Ashtangavaleha
The recommended dosage of Ashtangavaleha is 1/2g-1 g, twice a day. This medicine can be safely taken for 2-4 months. Or take as directed by a physician.