Purana Ghrita is a Go-Ghrita(Clarified butter of Cow Milk) which is at least one year old. In Ayurveda, it is said, the medicinal properties of ghee enhances with time. Purana Ghrita is used externally, internally and for nasya. Purna Ghrit or Purana Ghee is a tonic. It has expectorant, emollient and antiseptic properties. You can make butter at home and cook it on slow flame to make clarified butter and store it in clean airtight glass or stainless steel jar for aging.
Ghee which is stored for more than ten years, is said to cure all diseases. It has a strong pungent odour and reddish-brown colour. It is beneficial as external application in pleurisy and painful affections of joints.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Ingredients of Purana Ghrita
Go-Ghrita stored for at least one year.
Benefits of Purana Ghrita
- It gives relief in Kapha vikaar.
- It is very nutritious.
- It improves intelligence, vision, voice, liver, kidneys, and brain function.
- It cures internal dryness.
- It improves weight, luster, and digestion.
- It gives relief from constipation.
- It gives strength to brain, nerves, eyes, rectum and other body organs.
- It has expectorant action.
- It nourishes gastrointestinal mucosa, lubricates it, enhances the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins and strengthens the colonic flora of useful microbes.
- It is fattening.
- It increases marrow, semen, and ojas.
- It is especially useful in brain disorders, pneumonia and excess cough.
Uses of Purana Ghrita
- Mental disorders, Apasmara
- Pulmonary disorders, pneumonia
- General weakness
- Kapha vikaar, bronchitis, phlegmatic troubles
- Night blindness
- Brain disorders
Dosage of Purana Ghrita
- One-fourth teaspoon-1 spoon for (5-10 gram) twice a day with milk or lukewarm water.
- It is externally applied on sores, boils, carbuncles, and for massaging.
- Please note, the doses of Ayurvedic medicines are not fixed. Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Ghrita should not be taken in many conditions including:
- Digestive weakness, impaired digestion
- Weakness of liver
- Suffering from Whitish and foul smelling stool
- Chronic fever
- People suffering from obesity, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetics, high cholesterol should use this medicine with precaution.