Karela is very famous vegetable for it’s health benefits despite of it’s bitter taste. It bitter taste is due to quinine. Cooked bitter gourd stimulates the appetite, cleanses the liver, purifies the blood, and provides many other benefits. It is very good food to control glucose level in blood. Here I am writing simple and most common cooked recipe of Karela.
Ingredient for Karela bhaji
– Karela(Bitter Gourd) 3-4 big size
– Onion 1 big size
– Garlic cloves 4-5
– Green Chili(optional)
– Turmeric Powder 1/2 tea spoon.
– Cumin Seeds (1-2 pinch)
– Dry mango Powder(Amchoor)
– Mustard Oil (3-4 spoon)
– Salt to taste
– Wash Karela and cut into thin slices.
– Chop onion in slices and chop green chili
– Heat oil in frying pan and crackle with cumin
– Now add chili and onion and cook till onion get soft
– Now add Karela, salt, turmeric powder and Amchur
– Mix well and cook by putting lid on pan, keep stirring in between.
– Cook till Karela get cooked(soften).
Serve karela with plain parathas, Rice daal etc.
Note: If you want to remove bitterness of karela you can soak chopped karela in salted hot water for 15 minutes. But for healthy karela bhaji you should avoid it .