In Eastern UP and Bihar chana ghughri is very common native break fast. People are making this for different occasions like festivals, when some guests visiting some one place and on some other social events. This chana ghughri(Thick spicy curry of small gram) is served with onion rings and some some sweet dishes like halwa or jalebi. You can also serve this with chapati, puri or rice.
Here is simple recipe for making Kala chana Ghughuri.
– Small gram(Black chana) 200 gm, soaked in water
– Onion 2 medium sized
– One small sliced onion
– Pealed garlic (7-8 cloves)
– Ginger (1 inch)
– Green coriander 2 bunch
– Bay leaves 2
– Cumin seeds 1/2 tps
– Kitchen King 2 tps*
– 1~2 pinch dried mango powder
– Garam masala powder 1/2 tps
– Mustard oil 4 spoon(Depends on your cooking style)
– Salt to taste
– Onion rings and green coriander leaves for garnishing
Method of cooking
– Boil soaked and washed chana in pressure cooker for 10-15 min and keep aside with remaining water.
– Make masala paste of ginger, garlic, onion, chili, green coriander and 2 medium onion paste in grinder.
– Now take one deep pan(Try to use iron kadhai) and heat mustard oil.
– Make crackle of bay leaf and jeera and sliced onion. Fry till onion gets brown and add masala paste to pan and cook it by stirring. Now add kitchen king and salt to it and cook till oil gets separated from it.
– Now add boild chana with water(remaining water used for boiling), amchoor powder and garam masala powder.
– Cook it for 10-15 min on low flame by putting lead on pan.
– Chana ghughuri is ready to serve with onion rings.