As the name itself suggests, this is nut or non-dairy milk prepared from sweet almonds. It can be substitute for cow-milk and is good option for lactose-intolerant people. Almond milk offers numerous health benefits. It is low in sodium and contains fair amount of potassium so good for heart.
It is power house of nutrients but has less of carbohydrate and sugar. It has low glycaemic index and can be taken by individuals suffering from diabetes without any side-effect. It offers all benefits of eating almond. To know, how to prepare Almond Milk at home and its benefits read on.
Recipe for making Almond Milk
- Almond recipe is simple and very easy. You just require almonds (1 cup) and water.
- Soak one cup sweet almonds in water for eight hours. The soaking helps in better digestion and absorption of almonds in body as nuts contain phytic acid which inhibits the absorption of many vitamins and minerals.
- Remove the peels. Put almonds in grinder, add some lukewarm water and grind well.
- Strain this through cheesecloth to get extract. Again put the grinded almonds from cheesecloth, in grinder and grind again adding some water.
- Keep repeating till smooth Almond milk is obtained.
- You can store this in fridge for 3-4 days. You can add green cardamom to this milk for improving aroma and taste.
Almond milk prepared from one cup or 100 gms, is good for four servings. Each serving provides approximately 105 calories, 4g of protein, 3.6g of carbohydrate, 1.9g of fibre, 23 mg of calcium, 5.1mg of sodium and 9.2 g of total fat.
Variation: Coconut-Almond Milk
You can prepare coconut-almond milk in similar way. Take coconut (3/4 cup) and almonds (3/4 cup) and grind in water (500 ml). Strain this through cheesecloth.
Benefits of drinking Almond milk
- Source of vitamins and minerals
Almond milk contains various essential vitamins and minerals which are required for good health such as vitamin E, B complex, copper, magnesium, zinc, calcium, protein and healthy fat.
Almonds are rich in phenolic compounds. Phenolic compounds neutralize free radicals inside body and protects from diseases.
- Good for heart
Almond milk is good for heart, as it contains less sodium, no cholesterol and fair amount of potassium. Clinical trials have shown that consuming 85g of almonds per day lowers LDL cholesterol levels by approximately 10%. If you are taking 7g almonds per day then it reduces LDL cholesterol by 1%. As per researchers the risk of cardiovascular disease decreases by 2% for every percentage reduction in LDL cholesterol.
- Good for Bones
Almond milk provides strength to body. In a serving, it gives approximately 30 % of daily value of calcium and 25% of vitamin D. The presence of magnesium ensures better calcium absorption.
- Good for Eyes and skin
Almond milk contains vitamin A and vitamin E that keeps your eyes and skin healthy.
- Gives strength, power and improves growth
Almond milk contains vitamin B complex, vitamin E iron and other muscle regulating nutrients that makes you strong and healthy.