Moringa is medicinal tree native to the Sub-Himalayan part of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan. The leaves of this tree are very nutritious and are very good source of proteins, beta-carotene, amino acids and various phenolics. These leaves can be used as food supplement in fresh or dried form.
Latin name: Moringa oleifera, Syn. Moringa pterygosperma Gaertn.
English: Drumstick, Horse-Radish
Ayurvedic: Shigru (white var), Madhu Shigru, Sigra, Shobhaanjana, Haritashaaka Raktaka, Murangi, Mochaka, Akshiva, Tikshnagandhaa
How to prepare Moriga leaf powder
- Collect moringa leaves from tree. Wash thoroughly to remove dust and soil.
- Spread on clean cloth to remove water.
- Dry leaves in shade. You can use thin cloth to cover leaves to avoid dirt.
- When leaves are completely dried, pulverize and sieve them.
- Store this green powder in air tight container for future use.
Health Benefits of Moriga leaf powder
- Cures anaemia
- Treats malnourishment in children
- Good for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers
- Improves overall health and gives nutrition and energy
- Cures recurrent infections such as diarrhoea, dysentery, skin diseases etc.
- Rich in protein, minerals and vitamins
- Low cost and easily available
Dosage of Moriga leaf powder
1 teaspoonful thrice a day with meals.