Lohasava is prepared from purified iron, trikatu, triphala, ajwan, vavading, chitrak mula and Motha. This medicine contains iron and indicated in deficiency of iron in body. It is an Ayurvedic iron tonic. It shows beneficial effects in anemic dropsy and diseases of the spleen.
Asava are Ayurvedic medicines in liquid form that contain self-generated alcohols. Asava are prepared from cold infusions or juice of medicinal herbs without using heat. The fermentation is done by burying sealed pots in the ground or husk for a period of one month followed by filtration. The self-generated alcohol during fermentation extracts the active principles from the Key Ingredients and also acts as preservative. Asava are heating, stimulating, easily digested and stomachic.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as indication/therapeutic uses, Key Ingredients and dosage.
Ingredients of Lohasava
Lohasava is a fermented liquid preparation made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below. It contains not more than 10 per cent, and not less than 5 per cent of alcohol that is self-generated in the preparation over a period of time.
- Loha Churna shodhita (Lauha) Iron dust 192 g
- Shunthi Zingiber officinale Rz. 192 g
- Marica Piper nigrum Fr. 192 g
- Pippali Piper longum Fr. 192 g
- Haritaki Terminalia chebula P. 192 g
- Bibhitaka Terminalia bellierica P. 192 g
- Amalaki Emblica officinalis P. 192 g
- Yavanika (Yavani) Trachyspermum ammi Fr. 192 g
- Vidanga Embelia ribes Fr. 192 g
- Mustaka (Musta) Cyperus rotundus Rz. 192 g
- Citra (Eranda) Ricinus communis Rt. 192 g
- Dhataki Woodfordia fruticosa Fl. 960 g
- Madhu Honey 3.072 kg
- Guda Jaggery 4.80 kg
- Water 24.576 liter
Lf.=Leaf;P.=Pericarp;Rt.=Root;Fr.=Fruit;Rz.=Rhizome;St.=Stem;Fl. Bd.=Flower Bud.
Method of preparation
- Take the raw materials of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Wash, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 2 to 11 of the formulation composition and pass through the sieve number 44 to obtain coarse powder.
- Add specified amount of water to the ingredient number 14 of the formulation composition, allow to dissolve and filter through the muslin cloth.
- Transfer the filtrate to a clean container;add Loha Bhasma, Madhu, Dhataki and coarsely powdered other drugs. Seal the mouth of the container.
- Shift the container to the fermentation room and constantly check for the signs of completion of fermentation process.
- Filter the fermented material through a clean muslin cloth.
- Pack in air tight containers and allow for maturation.
Clear, dark brown liquid without frothing and significant sedimentation;with astringent taste.
Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protected from light and moisture.
Benefits of Lohasava
- Improves digestion
- Cures anemia
- Does not constipate
- Useful in Hepato splenomegaly due to anaemia
- Good for liver and spleen disorders
- Effective in diabetes, skin diseases, asthma, cough
- Jathara (weak digestion), Aruci (tastelessness), Agnimandya (digestive impairment)
- Grahani (malabsorption syndrome)
- Gulma (abdominal lump)
- Arsha (piles), Bhagandara (fistula-in-ano)
- Pandu (anemia)
- Pliha Roga (splenic disease)
- Shvayathu (oedema)
- Hridroga (disease of heart)
- Kushtha (disease of skin)
- Kasa (cough), shvasa (asthma)
- Chronic fever, Malarial fever, Visham jwar
- Accumulation of fluid inside body
Dosage of Lohasava
12-24 ml with equal amount of water after meals, twice a day, or as directed by physician.
Where to buy
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Dabur, Shree Baidyanath Ayurved Bhawan, Patanjali Divya Pharmacy Divya Lohasava, Sandu Vaidyaratnam Oushadhasala Lohasavam, Kottakkal Lohasavam, Arya Vaidya Sala, Kerala Ayurveda Lohasavam and some other pharmacies.