Liv 52 is patented Ayurvedic liver tonic from Himalaya Drug Company. It is completely herbal medicine containing capers, wild chicory, black night shade, Arjuna, Yarrow, Negro coffee and tamarisk. It is used to protect, help liver to function efficiently and to treat various diseases of liver. It protects liver against toxic substances.
The effectiveness of Liv 52, is backed by more than 250 clinical studies. Liv 52 is the world’s most thoroughly validated natural medicine for liver care. It does not contain Gluten, Magnesium Stearate and Synthetic Additive.
Liv 52 is marketed as LiverCare® In US. Liv.52 is registered as a drug in over 65 countries.
Liv 52 as Health Supplement
Liv 52 can be taken as health supplement. Its intake improves the general condition, abdominal discomfort, nausea, vomiting, gas, lethargy and low appetite. It supports normal functioning of liver and corrects liver dysfunction, if any.
- Liv 52 can be taken as daily health supplement. It offers following health benefits:
- Healthy liver support
- As a liver tonic
- Improve appetite
- Promote digestion and assimilation
- Promotes weight gain
- Liv 52, in available in for forms:
- Liv.52 DS
- Liv.52 HB
- Liv.52 Drops (given to infants for improving appetite)
Ingredients of Liv 52
Liv.52 Tablet and Syrup
Each Liv 52 tablet contains:
- Himsra (Capparis spinosa) 65mg
- Kasani (Cichorium intybus) 65mg
- Mandura Bhasma 33mg
- Kakamachi (Solanum nigrum) 32mg
- Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) 32mg
- Kasamarda (Cassia occidentalis) 16mg
- Biranjasipha (Achillea millefolium) 16mg
- Jhavuka (Tamarix gallica) 16mg
Each 5ml of Liv 52 syrup contains:
- Himsra (Capparis spinosa) 34mg
- Kasani (Cichorium intybus) 34mg
- Kakamachi (Solanum nigrum) 16mg
- Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) 16mg
- Kasamarda (Cassia occidentalis) 8mg
- Biranjasipha (Achillea millefolium) 8mg
- Jhavuka (Tamarix gallica) 8mg
Liv.52 DS Tablet and Syrup
Liv 52 DS has same composition but with different strength. This is designed for treatment and management of liver diseases.
- Each Liv 52 DS tablet contains:
- Himsra (Capparis spinosa) 130mg
- Kasani (Cichorium intybus) 130mg
- Mandura bhasma 66mg
- Kakamachi (Solanum nigrum) 64mg
- Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) 64mg
- Kasamarda (Cassia occidentalis) 32mg
- Biranjasipha (Achillea millefolium) 32mg
- Jhavuka (Tamarix gallica) 32mg
Liv.52 drops are given to children for improving appetite and weight gain. It cures nausea and vomiting commonly seen in children and thus bring about general well-beingness of children.
Each Liv 52 Drops contains:
- Himsra (Capparis spinosa) 17mg
- Kasani (Cichorium intybus) 17mg
- Kakamachi (Solanum nigrum) 8mg
- Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) 8mg
- Kasamarda (Cassia occidentalis) 4mg
- Biranjasipha (Achillea millefolium) 4mg
- Jhavuka (Tamarix gallica) 4mg
Liv. 52 HB
It is effective in management of hepatitis B. It protects liver and has antiviral action.
Each Liv 52 HB capsule contains:
- Mustaka (Cyperus rotundus) 125mg
- Nagaramustaka (Cyperus scariosus) 125mg
- Motha is widely used in Ayurveda for treatment of various diseases. This plant is also known as Purple nutsedge or nutgrass (English), Motha (Hindi) or Musta (Sanskrit).
- It is especially used as a cure for gastrointestinal and joint ailments. It has anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic, antidiarrheal, antipyretic, and analgesic and liver protecting activities.
- It is appetizer (deepan), digestive stimulant (pachan), anthelmintic (krimighna), diuretic (mutra virecaniya), scarifying/reducer of corpulence (lekhanya) and purifyer of plasma (rasa pachaniya). It lowers the viral load on the liver. It has anti-inflammatory and hepatoprotective activities which help in liver disorders.
- Nagaramustaka/ Umbrella’s Edge has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is liver protective.
Dose of Liv 52 HB: Liv 52 HB is given in dose of two capsules twice daily for a period of 6 months.
In formulation of Liv 52 some herbs protects the liver and other minimizes the possible side-effects. Thus the combination is such that it does not produce any side-effect and is safe for long term use.
Capers/ Himsra: Capparis spinosa is also known as Caper Bush (Eng), Kaakdani, Kabara (Ayurveda) and Kabar (Unani). It is native to the Mediterranean region and distributed in North-west India, Rajasthan, and Peninsular India. It is a prostrate shrub or climber with light yellow throans. It is mainly found in rocky and stony soil. The plant contains Glucosinolates-glucoiberin, glucocapparin, sinigrin and glucocleomin, glucocapangatin. The root bark is used as medicine and has anti-inflammatory, deobstruent to liver and spleen, diuretic, anthelmintic, bitter, and expectorant action and indicated in liver-spleen and kidney diseases.
Kasani (Cichorium intybus): It is commonly known as chicory. The seeds of plant are well known as a coffee substitute and widely used medicinally to treat various ailments including liver diseases, such as liver congestion, jaundice and diabetes. It has significant hepatoprotective activity. It has ability to inhibit the free radical mediated damage.
Mandura is hydrated oxide of iron (iron rust). The small particles of iron are allowed to remain in contact with the earth till they become very rusty and brittle. Mandura is selected, purified and prepared as per Ayurvedic text and used for medicinal purpose. It is used to treat anemia, jaundice, poor digestion, edema, skin diseases etc.
Tamarisk: It is found in North Indian saline or water-logged soils;on sandy banks in West Bengal, Bihar, Orissa and South India. It is a shrub or samll tree. It has astringent tonic, mild laxative and expectorant action.
Benefits of Liv 52
- It is an herbal medicine based on Ayurvedic principle for liver care.
- It assists normally functioning liver cells.
- It has potent hepatoprotective properties.
- It supports increase in hemoglobin level and weight.
- It can help to regulate levels of enzymes which helps in better digestion and assimilation.
- It improves appetite.
- It improve the functional efficiency of the liver.
- It helps to restore the functional efficiency of the liver by protecting the hepatic parenchyma. Hepatic/ liver parenchyma is the functional tissue of the liver, made up of the hepatocytes (liver cells) that filter blood to remove toxins.
- It assist in promoting hepatocellular regeneration. Hepatocellular regeneration is is the restoration of the total number and mass of hepatocytes (the main functional cells of the liver responsible for delivering most of the hepatic functions important for body homeostasis).
- In case of alcohlic damage to liver, it helps rapid elimination of acetaldehyde, the toxic intermediate metabolite of alcohol metabolism, and helps ensure protection from alcohol-induced hepatic damage.
- In pre-cirrhotic conditions, Liv 52 helps arrests the progress of the disease and prevents further liver damage.
Therapeutic Uses of Liv 52
As liver Support
- It can be taken as daily health supplement for improving appetite, digestion, assimilation processes and promoting normal weight gain. It is also given to treat loss of appetite during pregnancy.
- Its use increases Hemoglobin level.
Treatment of diseases
- Liv 52 is used for prevention and treatment of viral hepatitis, alcoholic liver disease, pre-cirrhotic conditions and early cirrhosis, anorexia, loss of appetite and liver damage due to radiation therapy.
- In anorexia and less than optimal growth and weight gain
- Enlarged spleen-liver
- Fatty liver associated with protein-energy malnutrition
- Viral hepatitis, chronic hepatitis
- Acute viral hepatitis (HBAg negative)
- Drug or alcohol induced hepatitis
- Pre-cirrhotic conditions and early cirrhosis
- Radiation and chemotherapy-induced liver damage
- As an adjuvant to hepatotoxic drugs like anti-tubercular drugs, statins, chemotherapeutic agents and antiretrovirals
- Adjuvant during convalescence and prolonged illness
Indication for Liv 52 DS
- Jaundice & anorexia during pregnancy
- Drug-induced hepatitis
- Chronic active hepatitis
- Early cirrhotic conditions
- As a supportive treatment during hemodialysis
- As an adjuvant to anti-cancer drugs
Dosage of Liv 52
- As a tonic take one tablet twice a day before meals.
- For Viral hepatitis, cirrhosis, hepatotoxicity take 2–3 tablets per day.
- Liv.52 drops are given to children in a dose of 15-20 drops twice daily, orally.
- Liv 52 HB is given in dose of two capsules twice daily for a period of 6 months.
- Dose of Liv 52 is dependent on liver condition.
- It is advisable to consult doctor to know exact dose to get maximum benefit.
- In a clinical trial of Liv 52 given to 60 malnourished children, in a dose of one tablet twice a day for 6 months. It showed significant improvement in body weight, height, total protein, albumin, and globulin levels. It also remarkably improved appetite.
- In another clinical trials on 300 patients with hepatitis, it significantly improved chronic hepatitis and cirrhosis.
- A study revealed that Liv 52 stimulates thyroid hormone secretion, particularly the T3.
- In a randomized, double-blind clinical trial conducted on cirrhotic patients, Liv 52 medication reduced the serum levels of hepatic enzymes, namely, alanine aminotransferase and aspartate aminotransferase. It also reduced the Child Pugh scores and ascites significantly.
- In 2004, a meta-analysis of 50 Phase III clinical trials, conducted over 30 years on 4, 490 patients, was carried out to evaluate the long-term efficacy and safety of Liv.52® in hepatitis A. The cumulative data analysis revealed clinical and biochemical improvements with significant symptomatic control. In addition, there was highly significant reduction in the mean recovery period. Liv.52 is the only herbal drug with a meta-analysis study.
- In many Russian hospitals Liv.52 is prescribed as an adjuvant in the treatment of tuberculosis to address the side effects of anti-TB drugs on the liver.
- Liv.52 is included by the American Botanical Council in the ABC clinical guide to herbs.
- The Intercantonal office of the Control of Medicines in Switzerland approves Liv.52 as a pharmaceutical specialty drug.
Liv.52 is not known to have any side effects if taken as per the prescribed dosage.
It is safe for long-term use.
- Patel, R., Malnourished children and Liv-52, Indian Pract., 7, 532, 1993. Dhawan, D. and Goel.
- Hepatoprotective effects of Liv-52 and its indirect influence on the regulation of thyroid hormones in rat liver toxicity induced by carbon tetrachloride.
- Fallah Huseini H, Alavian SM, Heshmat R, Heydari MR, Abolmaali K. The efficacy of Liv 52 on liver cirrhotic patients: a randomized, doubleblind, placebo controlled first approach. Phyto medicine.