Medohar Guggul is a polyherbal ayurvedic medicine. It prescribed for Medoroga. Medohar Guggulu has anti-obesity properties and helps to reduces weight. It is also helpful in treating disorders related to obesity.
Medoroga is Ayurvedic terms for excessive accumulation of Meda Dhatu (derivates of fat tissue) in body leading to Sthulata (Obesity). The main causative factors of Medoroga (hyperlipidaemia) include intake of cold, sticky, oily, sweet, heavy to digest foods, overeating and Kapha-Vata increasing foods. Obesity increases the risk of developing diabetes, heart diseases, piles, joint problems and other diseases.
The principle ingredient of this medicine is Guggulu. Guggul is gum resin of the Commiphora mukul tree. Guggul has anti-inflammatory, hypolipedemic, antiseptic, antibacterial, astringent, antispasmodic and antifertility properties. Guggul supports thyroid function and helps in weight loss. It also works as a carrier for other drugs.
Classical Ayurvedic texts recommends not to take Guggulu as a single drug but it should be administered along with other herbs in combination. Most of the medicinal herbs used in this medicine are pungent in taste (Katu Ras), easy to digest and drying in qualities (Laghu, Rukhsha Guna), hot in potency (Ushna Virya) and pungent post digestion (Katu Vipak). This combination helps to remove obstruction from the channels, reduces phlegm and fat, burns Ama and improve appetite and digestion.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Form of medicine: Pills / tablets
- Purpose: Weight Management, lowering lipid and high cholesterol levels, rheumatism, Vata Roga
- Availability: Online and at Pharmacy Stores
Ingredients of Medohar Guggulu
Five grams of finely powdered Shunthi / ginger, Pippali long pepper, Maricha / Black pepper, Triphala, Chitrak / Plumbago zeylanica, Nagarmotha / Cyperus scariousus, and Vidang / Embelia ribes. 45 grams Guggulu and castor oil.
Preparation: Sprinkle castor oil on gum guggal and pound it. When soft add the fine powders of the above herbs and make pills of 250 mg from the homogenous mass.
Guggulu is gum resin obtained from Commiphora mukul, a tree found in arid- subtropical to tropical climate. It is highly effective in the treatment of Vata-Vyadhi and due to its thermogenic, digestive, anti-inflammatory, carminative rejuvenating and tonic activities.
Guggulu / the gum resin contains guggul sterons Z and E, guggul sterols I-V, two diterpenoids- a terpene hydrocarbon named cembreneA and a diterpene alcohol- mukulol, a-camphrone and cembrene, long chain aliphatic tetrols- octadecan-1,2,3,4-tetrol, eicosan-1,2,3,4-tetrol and nonadecan-1,2,3,4-tetrol. Major components from essential oil of gum resin are myrcene and dimyrcene.
Guggulu is the main choice of drug for treatment of obesity and inflammatory conditions of joints. It is effective in reducing synthesis of cholesterol in liver. It reduces serum triglycerides, LDL (bad) cholesterol and increases HDL. It can reduce 14-27 percent blood cholesterol and triglycerides by 22-30 percent. Guggulu increases metabolism of LDL.
Guggulu is used in Ayurveda for treatment of arthritis, rheumatism, gout, lumbago, disorders of the nervous, respiratory, digestive and circulatory systems. It has anti-inflammatory with strong purifying and rejuvenating properties.
Trikatu is combination of dry ginger, black pepper and long pepper (Sonth + Pippali + Kali mirch). It is effective for burning Ama (metabolic waste and toxins) which is the prime cause of all disease. It supports better digestion and cures constipation. It stimulates the liver to secrete bile which is vital for fat digestion and absorption. It also balances Kapha.
Triphala is combination of Amalaki, Bibhitaki, and Haritaki and used extensively in Ayurveda for treatment of digestive diseases. It is a tonic for whole body. It has been used in various gastric disorders including intestinal inflammation. It contains vitamin C, linoleic oil, phospholipids and other important nutrients. It is rich source of tannins, which is known to affect the integrity of mucus membrane. Tannins with their protein precipitating and vasoconstriction effects could be advantageous in preventing ulcer development. It is a Rasayana drug and used for detoxifying and tonifying the body.
Triphala pacifies Vata-Vikar and cleanses the digestive tract. It aid to elimination and purification. It tones and strengthens digestive tract and promote regular and complete evacuation of the bowels. It helps with the digestion and assimilation of food, improves blood circulation and has anti-inflammatory properties.
Chitraka, Plumbago zeylanica is a large perennial sub-scandent medicinal shrub, found throughout India. Its Sanskrit synonyms are Agni, Vahni, Jvalanakhya, Krishanu, Huasha, Dahana, Hutabhuk and Sikha.
It reduces vata and kapha and increases pitta. It is stimulant, anthelmintic and antiseptic. It is used in Ayurveda for colitis, indigestion, hemorrhoids, diarrhea, gas and intestinal parasites.
Benefits of Medohar Guggulu
- It is Medohar (Reduces fat in body).
- It decreases triglycerides and bad cholesterol LDL level.
- It improves appetite, digestion and metabolism (by working on thyroid function).
- It gives relief in constipation.
- It reduces Kapha / phlegm and congestion.
- It decreases Vata inside body and gives relief in Vata disorders such as joint swelling, arthritis, gout, bloating, gas, distension etc.
- It is warming in effects and helps to improve metabolism.
- It helps to shed extra kilos.
- It supports better bowel movements.
- It removes obstruction from channels and congestion.
Ayurvedic Properties and Action of Medohar Guggulu
Medohar Guggulu is pungent (Katu) in both the initial and post-digestive tastes (Rasa and Vipaka) and hot in effect (Virya). It is carminative, antiemetic and thermogenic.
It is an Ushna Virya herb. Ushna Virya or hot in potency due to which it subdues Vata (Wind) and Kapha (Mucus) and increases Pitta (Bile). It has property of digestion, vomiting and purging, and gives feeling of lightness. It is considered bad for sperms and fetus.
- Rasa (taste on tongue): Katu (Pungent)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (Light), Ruksha (Dry)
- Virya (Action): Ushna (Heating)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Katu (Pungent)
- Deepana (enlighten the Agni)
- Paachana (enhances digestive power)
- Kleda-Meda Shoshaka (scrap out excessive Meda and Kapha)
- Srotovishodhaka (open the micro channels)
- Lekhana (Remove bad humours and altered constituents)
- Medohara (Reduces blood lipids)
Important Therapeutic Uses of Medohar Guggulu
- Medohar Guggulu is a medicine for Sthaulya or Obesity. Obesity can be defined as a condition in which more than required fat is deposited in body leading to various diseases.
- Medoroga (obesity) excess fat deposition in the body
- Weight management
- Kapha Roga (disease due to Kapha Dosha)
- Lowering cholesterol level
- Reducing fat in body
- Improve metabolism, digestion
- Fatty liver
- Enlarged liver
Dosage of Medohar Guggulu
2 – 4 Tablets (500mg-1 gram) twice a day in morning and evening, with lukewarm water or decoction of Triphala. Do not take more than six grams in a day. Appropriate doses depend on age, sex, severity of obesity. Or take as directed by physician.
Along with medicine, it is equally important to make dietary and life style changes.
Ayurveda says to reduce obesity, one should eat food which is Katu (pungent) in taste / Ras. Laghu (light) and Ruksha (drying) in Guna / Qualities and hot (Ushna) in potency. The food should be Kapha-Vata har, Dipana (Promote appetite), Pachana (Assist in digesting undigested food), Lekhana (Remove bad humours and altered constituents of the body by thinning them gradually and thus clearing the system of them) and Ama Pachana (toxin digester). Lack of physical exercise and eating Kaphavardhaka ahara (phlem increasing foods) leads to obesity, so these should be avoided.
- Eat light foods.
- Drink water empty stomach.
- Drink Triphala Decoction, in the morning empty stomach.
- Eat salads, easy to digest food and food low in calories.
- Do not diet.
- Do some exercise.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Avoid sweet and fatty foods.
- Do not take in pregnancy.
- In Pitta prakrity people, it may cause acidity, headaches and burning sensation.
- Person should do some exercise daily.
- Person suffering from thyroid and liver problems must consult physician before taking gugglu.
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Baidyanath (Medohar Guggulu), NIDCO (Medohar Guggul), Herbal Aid (Medohar Guggulu), Rasashram (Medohar Guggul) and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.