In Varanasi region Sakpaita is very common dish. It is very delicious and rich in nutrient factor. I love sagpaita daal with new rice .
you can make this recipe with any of green leaf vegetable like spinach (Palak), Bathua, Fenugreek (Methi) or gram leafs and pulse/lentils.
In our home sagpaita recipe is very simple but you can use optional ingredients which you wish.
Note: In Varanasi region we do not use turmeric and onion in any leaf vegetable(saag) recipe. I don't know region but it is not strict rule. People likes Asafoetida(Hing) and Garlic for any leaf vegetable recipes.
Ingredients for sagpaita:
- Saag( Spinach, Bathua, Methi or any other what you like) 500 gm.
- Daal ( Gram, mix lentils or any other daal/lentil what you want) 1/ 2 cup depends upon what thickness you want .
- Garlic cloves 8-10
- Asafoetida (Hing) 2 pinch
- Cumin seed 1/2 tbl spoon
- Red chilli 1-2
- Salt to taste
- Red Tomato 1 (Optional)
- Chopped Onion 1 (Optional)
- Turmeric 1/2 tbl spoon (Optional)
- Garam Masala 1/2 tbl spoon (Optional)
- Wash green leaf vegetables very carefully and chopped them finely.
- Take one 3+ litre pressure cooker and wash mix dal and add 4 cup water into this and Add Chopped vegetable.
- Make paste of 4 garlic cloves and hing and add this past to cooker.
- Finally add salt according to your taste.
- Optionally add turmeric powder to it.
- Put the lid of cooker and put it on stove at full flame. Wait till it blow pressure and reduce the flame at min and cook for further five min.Turn off the flame and wait till pressure of cooker is released. Mean while prepare the tadka.
- Heat a deep frying pan and put ghee to that add jeera to it and add chopped garlic to it and fry till garlic gets brown.
- Optional: Now add tomato and you want garam masala to it and cook it on high flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and tadaka.
Daal is ready and serve it with chapati or rice.