Honey is very good for cold and cough and it becomes more effective if infused with other herbs. This recipe is what we use for winter coughs. If you cannot get elecampane(pohakarmul), lomatium or osha, just try making ginger honey, which is soothing for sore throats and coughs along with upset stomachs.
Ingredients of honey for cough and cold
- Chop equal parts of ginger root and elecampane root.
- Grind up about ½ part osha and spritz with a little water to rehydrate it.
Grind up 1/16 part lomatium seed.
- Place all herbs in a double boiler and cover with honey.
- Warm the honey, but do not let it boil.
- Continue to heat the honey, turning it on and off for a couple of days, until it is thick when it cools down.
- Warm the honey slightly then press it through muslin cloth.
- Bottle the honey in glass jars. It will last 1-2 years.
- You can make tea from pressed herbs.
Raw honey is considered a medicine because of its nutritive and anti-bacterial qualities. Many herbs can be extracted in honey, especially aromatic
and water-soluble plants.
Herbal honeys are a great way to get medicine to kids (or adults) who will not tolerate bad tasting teas and tinctures. They can be taken straight, added to tea spread on food.