Drakshavaleha is an Ayurvedic medicine. In Ayurvedic medicines, Avaleha or Leha is a semi-solid preparation which is prepared with addition of jaggery, sugar, honey or sugar-candy and boiled with prescribed herb juice or decoction. They are also known as Modaka, Guda, Khanda, Rasayana, Leham etc.
Drakshavaleha is mentioned in Astanga Hridaya Chikithsasthana for Pandu Roga. It is a well-known medicine for jaundice and anaemia.
The main ingredient of this medicine is Draksha or Vitis vinifera. In some places of India, Drakshavaleha is also recommended by Ayurvedic physicians for pregnant woman as it is a Rasayana that cures weakness, anaemia, digestive disorders, improves weight gain and liver function.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as indication/therapeutic uses, Key Ingredients and dosage.
Key Ingredients of Drakshavaleha
Drakshavaleha is a semisolid preparation made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below.
- Draksha द्राक्षा Vitis vinifera Dr. Fr. 768 g
- Kana (Pippali पिप्पली) Piper longum Fr. 768 g
- Sharkara Sugar चीनी 2.800 kg
- Yashtimadhu मुलेठी Glycyrrhiza glabra Rt. 96 g
- Shunthi सोंठ Zingiber officinale Rz. 96 g
- Tvakkshiri त्वाकश्री (Vamisha) Bambusa arundinacea S.C. 96 g
- Dhatri आमला (Amalki) Phalarasa Embelica officinalis P. 12.288 l
- Madhu शहद Honey 768 g
Method of preparation
- Take all ingredients of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Wash the Draksha with fresh water, till it becomes clean and drain the water completely. Remove the seeds and crush to a fine paste.
- Clean, dry the ingredients numbered 2, 4 and 5 of the formulation composition, powder separately and pass through sieve number 85.
- Clean the ingredient number 6 of the formulation composition, powder and pass through sieve.
- Wash, clean the fresh Amalki fruits, grind it, squeeze the juice and filter it through muslin cloth to obtain Svarasa.
- Crush Draksha to make a pulp and pass through sieve number 44.
- Add Sugar to Svarasa and heat, maintaining the temperature between 800 and 900. After the sugar dissolves, filter the hot syrup through muslin cloth.
- Heat the filtered syrup mildly to make ‘two-thread Sugar syrup’.
- Add the Draksha pulp to the above syrup, heat with constant stirring maintaining temperature between 900 and 1000 and observe the mixture till the formation of a soft bolus, which does not disperse in water.
- Stop heating and allow to cool to 500.
- Add fine powders of Prakshepa Dravyas and mix thoroughly to prepare a homogeneous blend.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and add Madhu. Pack it in tightly closed amber colored containers to protect from light and moisture.
Semi solid, malleable, dark brown, sticky preparation, with a spicy odour, sour and pungent, sweet taste.
Uses of Drakshavaleha
Drakshavaleha has anti-anemic properties and nutritional properties. It has been used as a Naimittika Rasayana (promoter of specific vitality in specific disease).
- Chronic obstructive Jaundice
- Hyper Acidity, indigestion/Dyspepsia
- Heart Burn
- Liver and digestive disorders
- Dosage of Drakshavaleha
- 6-12 grams twice a day with milk/water or as directed by the Physician.
Where to buy
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Dabur and some other pharmacies.