Catechu or Cutch tree(Khair) is a medium deciduous tree widely distributed in tropical countries and found throughout India. The parts of Khair or Khadira tree used for medicinal purpose are twig, bark and wood. It is used in preparation of Khadiraristha. Khair heartwood is boiled and processed to produce Kattha which is used in Paan.
Acacia catechu has powerful astringent and antioxidant properties.
Latin Name: Acacia catechu
Assamese: Kharira, Khara, Khayar
Bengali: Khera, Khayera
English: Black catechu, Cutch tree
Guajarati: Khair, Kathe, Kher
Kannada: Kaggali, Kaggalinara, Kachinamara, Koggigida
Marathi: Khaira, Khair
Tamil: Karungali, Karungkali
Telugu: Chandra, Kaviri
Urdu: Chanbe Kaath
Unani: Safed Kattha
Acacia catechu medicinal uses in ayurveda
- Prepare decoction of bark mixed with milk.
- Apply Katha lemon slice and taken regularly empty stomach.
- Prepare decoction of katha with ela and drink.
- Apply katha on affected areas.
Gum problems, Bleedibg gums, Spongy gums Mix Catechu, Alum (Phitkari) and myrrh (gum resin) and cloves (Laung) to make a tooth powder. Massage gums with this powder.
- Grind Catechu, Randia ulginosa and itrus medica. Mix in water and drink.
- MIx Catechu (1/4 teaspoonful) powder and Dalchini powder. Take with honey.
- Mix Catechu powder (1/8 teaspoonful), turmeric powder (1/8 teaspoonful). Take with honey.
- Chew Catechu to get relief from sore throat and loss of voice.