Aloe Vera is perennial succulent plant with fleshy green leaves joined at the stem. Aloe gel is full of medicinal properties. It is edible and useful in treating various diseases related to digestive system. It is also taken in form of juice. Its juice is helpful in improving blood platelets.
Aloe Vera gel is also useful for skin when applied externally. It can be used topically on face and other body parts. It has cooling, soothing, moisturizing, anti-aging, anti-wrinkle, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiseptic activities. Aloe vera gel helps to reduce pain and inflammation of skin due to any reason. It has a dramatic ability to heal wounds, ulcers and burns by putting a protective coating on the affected areas and speeding up the healing rate.
Latin name: Aloe barbadensis, Aloe indica, Aloe barbados, Aloe vera
Indian name: Ghrita-kumari, Kanya, Kumari, Ghee-kunwar, Ghi-kuvar, Gvar patha
Benefits of aloe vera gel for skin
- Aloe vera gel stimulates production of collagen and elastin. Its regular use helps to reduce appearance of wrinkles.
- Aloe vera gel repairs the damaged skin cells that cause the visible signs of aging.
Aloe vera gel regular application helps in lightening of skin spots, blemishes and improves skin complexion.
- Aloe vera gel on dry skin gives hydrating effect and moisturizes skin. It also exfoliates and rejuvenates skin.
- Aloe gel application treats sunburned skin.
- Aloe vera gel has antiseptic, antibiotic and antibacterial properties. It helps to heal skin infections due to bacteria and fungus.
- Aloe vera gel is useful for dry skin conditions, cuts, wounds, burns, psoriasis, dermatitis, warts etc.
- Aloe vera gel is proven skin healer which soothes skin injuries due to burning, cuts and insect bites.
- It helps to give relief in itching and swelling.
- When Aloe vera gel is applied externally on burns it helps in better healing.
- Application of aloe vera gel on insect bites, rashes, sores, herpes, Urticaria, fungal infection, vaginal infections, conjunctivitis, and allergic reactions gives soothing effect.
- Application of aloe vera gel on joint pain, injuries, muscle pain, arthritis reduces intensity of pain.
- Aloe vera Gel may treat recurrent aphthous ulcers, reduce pain and increase the amount of time between the appearances of new ulcers.
- Aloe vera Gel is also useful for skin irritation caused by prolonged exposure to radiation.
Caution while using aloe vera gel
While using certain other creams with steroid for skin condition do check for the possible interaction of gel with ingredients of cream.
In some individuals topical application may cause redness, itching etc. In such cases it is better to avoid it.
It is also recommended to do a patch test before skin application.