Sarpagandhaghan Vati is classical polyherbal ayurvedic medicine. It is useful
in treatment of high blood pressure, increased pulse and insomnia. This
formulation contains Sarpagandha as the main ingredient along with Cannabis,
Khurasani ajwain, Jatamansi and Pippla Mula.
All the ingredients of this medicine have sedative, narcotic and
tranquillizing effects. They have Central nervous system (the brain and spinal
cord) depressant action which means they slow normal brain activity. This
property helps in treating anxiety and sleep disorders. Intake of CNS
depressant, causes calm, sedation, sleep, anesthesia and pain relief. CNS
depressant are given to people who are anxious or can’t sleep, people suffering
from seizures, anxiety, or sleep disorders.
Sarpagandhaghan Vati is very hot in potency and induces sweating. It is
generally taken with milk to reduce its pitta increasing action. This medicine
is contraindicated in excess heat inside body, bleeding disorders, ulcers,
inflammation in intestine, burning sensation in body, low blood pressure,
depression, breast feeding and pregnancy.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits,
indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Synonyms: Sarpagandhadi Gutika, Sarpgandha Tablet
- Reference Text: Siddha Yoga Sangraha
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Purpose: Bhrama (vertigo)-Anidra (insomnia)-Unmada (insanity)
Ingredients of Sarpagandhaghan Vati
1. Sarpagandha (Rt.) 10 Parts
2. Khurasani Yavani (Sd.) 2 Parts
3. Jatamansi (Rt.) 1 Parts
4. Bhanga (Vijaya) (Lf.) 1 Parts
5. Paani / Water 8 Parts Reduced to 1 Part
6. Pippali mula churna (Rt.) 1 Part
Method of Preparation
Prepare the solid extract of the ingredients no. 1 to 4 as per Rasa Kriya.
Pills are prepared after adding Pippalimula Churna it. The weight of each pill
should be about 375 mg.
About the ingredients
Sarpagandha or Rauwolfia serpentina, is a powerful medicinal herb with
blood pressure lowering and CNS depressing activities. It lower the heart rate,
blood pressure and brain activities. Sarpagandha is antihypertensive,
antipsychotic, sedative, hypnotic and tranquilizing. It is given in precise dose
to manage blood pressure and induce sleep.
Khurasani Ajwain, is cerebral and spinal sedative, narcotic, anodyne,
antiseptic, digestive, astringent, anthelmintic and antispasmodic. It is used as
a sedative in mental and maniacal excitement, epileptic mania, chronic dementia
with insomnia, convulsions, neuralgia.
Jatamansi, Balchhar, Balchir, Baluchar, Jatalasi, Jatamansi,
Kanuchara, Spikenard are few names of Nardostachys jatamansi. The roots of plant
are aromatic and bitter and possess stimulant and anti-spasmodic properties.
Jatamansi is used in the treatment of epilepsy, hysteria, convulsive ailments,
palpitation of the heart and diseases of the head. It is a nervine tonic.
Cannabis sativa or Cannabis, is Hypnotic, Anodyne, Antispasmodic,
Sedative, Narcotic, and Nervous Sedative. Due to its sedative and narcotic
properties it is used in treatment of nervous tension and insomnia. It has
Pippali mula is aromatic root of plant Piper longum. It is stomachic,
digestive, pungent, hot, and very useful for digesting food, bile producing and
laxative. It is also used in Ayurveda for insomnia, palsy and epilepsy. Pippali
mula or roots have potent NSAID type of analgesic activity. It is sedative,
emollient, demulcent, general tonic and hematinic. Pipplamool is a CNS
Ayurvedic Properties and Action
Sarpagandhaghan Vati is bitter in taste (Rasa), pungent after digestion
(Vipaka), and is hot in effect (Virya).
It is an Ushna Virya herb. Ushna Virya or hot potency herb, subdues Vata
(Wind) and Kapha (Mucus) and increases Pitta (Bile). Sarpagandhaghan Vati is
carminative, antiemetic and thermogenic. It has property of digestion, vomiting
and purging, and gives feeling of lightness. It is considered bad for sperms and
- Rasa (taste on tongue): Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (Light), Ruksha (Dry)
- Virya (Action): Ushna (Heating)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Katu (Pungent)
Action / Karma
- Pachan: Assist in digesting undigested food, but do not increase the appetite
- Kaphahara: Pacifies Kapha Dosha
- Vatahara: Pacifies Vata Dosha
- Pittakar: Increases pitta
- Nidraprad: Sleep inducing
- Hridyavasadaka: Depresses (avsadak) Hridya (heart)
It is a Katu Vipak herb. Vipak refers to post-digestive (effect after
digestion / cooking of Rasa) effect of tastes after its mixing with digestive
juices. It is the long term effect of herb. Katu Viapk herbs / foods, pungent
after digestion. It increases dryness in body. Such foods reduce fertility and
Katu vipaak has catabolic effect on body.
Benefits of Sarpagandhaghan Vati
It has antispasmodic, analgesic, carminative, hypotensive, nervine, sedative
and vasodilatory properties.
It depresses CNS / Central nervous system.
It has sedative and tranquilizing effect.
It induces sleep.
It reduces phlegm inside body and promotes sweating.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Sarpagandhaghan Vati
Sarpagandhaghan Vati gives relief in mild to moderate hypertension (high
blood pressure), stress, certain forms of insanity, insomnia and cardiac oedema.
- Anxiety, Hysterias, Mania
Dosage of Sarpagandhaghan Vati
For high blood pressure, take 1 tablet (375mg) twice a day after meal with
water or milk for 1-3 months. For insomnia, take 1 tablet with water/milk, just
before going to bed. Or take as directed by physician.
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- It contains Bhang and Sarpagandha and should be taken only in recommended doses and specified duration.
- It is hot in nature, so should be used with caution in summer and by hot temperament individuals and menstruating women.
- Do not use in pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- It must not be given to children.
- It may cause depression.
- It should not be used if tissues are inflamed.
- Don’t take in mouth blisters, dryness and persistent bitter taste in the mouth, red eyes, hot and watery face, inflammation of the body, inflammations of the intestines and high pitta.
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Name of some of
Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine are given below:
- Baidyanath (Sarpagandhaghan Vati / tablet)
- Planet Ayurveda (Sarpgandhaghan Vati)
- Dabur (Sarpagandhaghan Vati)
- Unjha (Sarpagandha Ghanvati)
- Zandu (Sarpagandhaghan Tablets, Blister pack)
and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.