Chikungunya is a viral disease transmitted by infected mosquitoes. It occurs in Indian subcontinent, Asia and Africa. The word Chikungunya is derived from Kimakonde language, meaning 'bending up or contorting' as the disease causes severe joint pain, stiffness and bent posture with limited movement in patients. For diagnosis of chikungunia several methods are available. Serological tests ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays), may confirm the presence of IgM and IgG anti-chikungunya antibodies. IgM antibody levels are highest, three to five weeks after the onset of illness and persist for about two months. Samples which are collected during the first week after the onset of symptoms, should be tested by both serological and virological methods (RT-PCR).
Symptoms of Chikungunya
The incubation period for Chikungunya fever is 2-12 days. It may cause severe arthritis that may long for many years. The common clinical symptom of disease are given below.
- Sudden fever of 104 degree Celsius
- Muscular rash
- Pain in muscles, joints, particularly in knees, hands and wrist
Less frequent symptoms are headaches, photophobia, gastrointestinal symptoms, nausea, vomiting. Visible symptoms are typical bend posture to limit pain due to joint movement, rash, arthritis like condition. Joints of finger, wrist, knees, toes, ankles gets inflamed and painful to touch
Fever occurs in two phases. First fever appears for few days. Then in second phase, rheumatoid arthritis like condition appear which may remain for few months. It badly affects muscles and joints.
Treatment of Chikungunya
In Allopath there is only symptomatic treatment available for Chikungunya. There is no specific antiviral drug available for its treatment. Treatment is given for relieving the symptoms. Management of fever is done by rest, Intravenous fluids, fever reducing medicines, anti-inflammatory, analgesic drugs.
Chloroquine Phosphate (250 mg) once daily has been tried in the patients with fever and arthritis. Also, there is no commercial chikungunya vaccine.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Chikungunya
Many classical Ayurvedic medicines are available that help to treat the fever and arthritis like condition. Some of the combination are given below. Any one of the combination can be taken managing chikungunya.
Certain decoction and medicines are helpful in improving body immunity and resistance against viral diseases.
- Amritha (Tinospora cordifolia) stem 6-8” and Sunthi (Zingiber officinalis) rhizome 20 g, boiled in water and reduced to one fourth. This decoction at the dose of 30 ml thrice daily for one week.
- Decoction of Giloy, Neem, Tulsi, Sonth should be taken twice a day.
- Daily drink Nilavembu kudineer.
- Sanjeevani vati with cumin seeds and tulsi boiled in water.
- Sanjivani Vati (2 tablets twice daily) for 4 weeks and Giloy Swarasa/fresh juice, 15 ml once daily in the morning for 12 weeks.
- Amritarishta (10ml), Vasakasava (10 ml), Anada bhairavi Ras (2 tablets thrice daily), Arogya vardhani Vati (2 tablets thrice daily) for 3 days.
- Mahasudarsana Ghana Vati, Samshamani Vati, AYU - 64, Kanchanara Guggulu and Pathyadi Guggulu for 7 days.
- Amrita Guggulu and Rasnadi Curna with fresh ginger juice for 5 - 42 days.
- Amritarishta and Yogaraj guggulu (2 tablets thrice daily) with milk.
- Sanjivani Vati (2 tablets twice daily) for 4 weeks and giloy Swarasa 15 ml once daily in the morning for 12 weeks.
- Yogaraja Guggulu (2 tablets thrice daily) and Jvarakesari pills (2 tablets thrice daily) with Guduchyadi Kashaya (as anupan) before food for 7 to 10 days. Aswagandha Bala Lakshadi Taila for external application.
- Amrita Guggulu (2 tablets twice daily), Sudarshana Churna (2 g twice daily) and Amritarishta (30 ml twice daily) for a period of 7-40 days.
Chikangunia causes arthritis like condition. In such case take Ashwagandha Capsule, Shilajit Rasayana, Chandraprabha vati.
Those who suffer from weakness in muscles and joints due to chikungunya for long duration should take Shilajit Rasayana, Chandraprabha vati and Kaishore guggul.