Chirchita or Apamarg (Achyranthes aspera) is a medicinal herb which can be found throughout India. It is used traditionally to treat various ailments across the country. This herb is also found Baluchistan, Ceylon, Tropical Asia, Africa, Australia and America.
Apamarga is bitter, pungent, heating, laxative, stomachic and carminative. It is used to treat bleeding piles, digestive disorders, fever, cough, dysentery, dropsy, insect bite, psoriasis, paralysis, spleen enlargement, abdominal pains, wounds etc.
Clinical studies show this plant contains alkaloids achyranthine and betaine which help to lower blood pressure and heart rate by dilation of blood vessels. Its flowers show diuretic activities.
Latin name: Achyranthes aspera Linn. (Amaranthaceae)
Sanskrit: Apamarga, Latjira
Hindi: Chirchita, Apamarg
English: Prickly Chaff Flower
Gujarati: Safad Aghedo
Here are few remedies that can be done at home using Apamarg (Achyranthes aspera) to cure various ailments.
Ear pain, Infection in ear Take fresh leaves of Apamarg and wash to remove dirt. Grind and extract its juice. Put few drops in ear to cure infection of ear.
Eye problem, redness in eye Take fresh root of Apamarg and clean it carefully to remove dirt and soil. Grind it with rose water and apply in eyes to cure eye infection.
- Chew few clean, fresh leaves of Apamarg.
- Grind ripe seed of Apamarga to make powder. Smell this powder while suffering from migraine.
Back ache Take leaves of Apamarga and rub on affected areas on back.
Boils, wounds, eczema Extract Apamarga juice and rub on affected areas.
Wound Extract leaves juice and use this to wash wounds to heal quickly.
Insect bites Apply fresh leaves juices at affected areas.
Kidney problem, pneumonia Take apamarga panchang (5 gm) in water (200 ml) till volume reduces to 50 ml, filter and drink.
Enlargement of spleen Prepare powder of whole plant. Take this powder (2 tbsp) with butter milk twice a day.
- Take fresh leaves of Apamarg and wash to remove dirt. Grind with water and make paste. Mix til oil in this paste and apply this on affected areas.
- Boil leaves of Apamarga in water and cook for 15 minutes. Strain and drink lukewarm.
Fever Take apamarga leaves juice (1 tbsp) with gur.
Cholera Take root powder of Apamargah (1 tbsp). Add in glass of water and drink.
- Dry Apamarga leaves in shade and grind to make powder. Take this powder with honey or misri twice a day. Or take fresh leaves juices (5-10 ml) every three hours to cure diarrhoea.
Abdominal pain Extract leaves juice and take (2 tbsp) with glass of water.
Dropsy Take Apamarga panchang (4 tbsp) and boil in water (200 ml). Cook for twenty minutes. Strain and drink.
Paralysis Prepare root powder of herb. Take this with glass of milk.