Yograj Guggulu is a very famous Ayurvedic herbal medicine. It is prepared from 29 ingredients. It is the most effective Guggulkalpa indicated in vata vyadhis (neurological, musculoskeletal disorders). Guggulkalpa means medicines containing equal or more amount of guggul as compared to amount of other ingredients. Guggul is gum resin of the Commiphora mukul tree. Guggul has anti-inflammatory, hypolipedemic, antiseptic, antibacterial, astringent, antispasmodic and antifertility properties. Guggul removes toxins from body. It also works as a carrier for other drugs. Classical Ayurvedic texts recommends not to take guggul as a single drug but it should be administered along with other herbs in combination.
Yograj Guggulu is warming, digestive, and detoxifying in nature. It has anti-inflammatory, Vatahar and pain reliving action. It shows beneficial effect in arthritis, gout, degenerative diseases of joints due to excess vata, rheumatoid arthritis, back pain etc.
Here is given more about Yograj Guggulu such as indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Ingredients of Yograj Guggulu
Yogaraja Guggulu Vati is preparation made with the ingredients in the Formulation Composition, given below, with Guggulu as the basic ingredient.
- Citraka Plumbago zeylanica Rt. 1 part
- Pippali Piper longum Rt. 1 part
- Yamani (Yavani) Trachyspermum ammi Sd. 1 part
- Karavi (Krishna Jiraka) Carum carvi Fr. 1 part
- Vidanga Embelia ribes Fr. 1 part
- Ajamoda um leptophyllum Fr. 1 part
- Jiraka (Shveta Jiraka) Cuminum cyminum Fr. 1 part
- Suradaru (Devadaru) Cedrus deodara Ht. Wd. 1 part
- Cavya Piper chaba St. 1 part
- Ela (Sukshmaila) Elettaria cardamomum Sd. 1 part
- Saindhava Lavana Rock Salt 1 part
- Kushtha Saussurea lappa Rt. 1 part
- Rasna Pluchea lanceolata Rt./ Lf.* 1 part
- Gokshura Tribulus terrestris Fr. 1 part
- Dhanyaka Coriandrum sativum Fr. 1 part
- Haritaki Terminalia chebula P. 1 part
- Bibhitaka Terminalia belerica P. 1 part
- Amalki Emblica officinalis P. 1 part
- Mustaka (Musta) Cyperus rotundus Rz. 1 part
- Shunthi Zingiber officinale Rz. 1 part
- Marica Piper nigrum Fr. 1 part
- Pippali Piper longum Fr. 1 part
- Tvak Cinnamomum zeylancium St. Bk. 1 part
- Ushira Vetiveria zizanoides Rt. 1 part
- Yavagraja (Yava) Kshara Hordeum vulgare Water soluble ash of Pl. 1 part
- Talisa Patra Taxus wallichii Lf. 1 part
- Patra Cinnamomum tamala Lf. 1 part
- Guggulu -Shuddha Commiphora wightii O.R. 27 parts
- Sarpi (Goghrita) Clarified butter From Cow’s milk 1 part
* Actual part used in the formulation.
Lf.=Leaf;P.=Pericarp;Rt.=Root;Fr.=Fruit;Rz.=Rhizome;Sd.= Seeds;St.=Stem;St. Bk.= Stem Bark;Fl. Bd.=Flower Bud.
Method of preparation
Take all the ingredients of the pharmacopoeial quality. Wash, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 1 to 27 of the formulation composition separately and pass through sieve number 85, weigh them separately in the required quantities and mix.
Crush weighed quantity of Guggulu-Shuddha, add fine powder of other mixed ingredients to it and pound well. Add Ghrita in small quantity at regular intervals for smooth pounding and continue pounding till a semi-solid uniformly mixed mass of suitable plasticity is obtained.
Expel the mass through Vati machine fitted with a suitable die and cut the Vatis to a desired weight. Roll the Vatis on flat surface to round them by circular motion of palm covered with a glove and smeared with Eranda Taila or use suitable mechanical device. Dry the rounded Vatis in a tray-dryer at a temperature not exceeding 600 for 10 to 12 h. Pack it in tightly closed containers to protect from light and moisture.
Description: Dark brown spherical Vati with spicy pleasant odour and astringent taste.
Storage: Store in a cool place in tightly closed containers, protect from light and moisture.
Ayurvedic Properties and Action of Yograj Guggulu
Rasa (Taste): Katu (pungent) kashaya/Astringent, Madhura/Sweet
Guna (Characteristics): Laghu/Light, Ruksha/Dry
Virya (Potency): Ushna/Hot
Vipaka (Post Digestive Effect): Katu/Pungent
Action on body: Cures arthritis, clears vata from body, scraps toxins.
It reduces Vata and Kapha and increases pitta.
Benefits of Yograj Guggulu
Yograj Guggulu is indicated in diseases that mainly occur due to vitiation of vata, accumulation of toxins in body and restricted circulation. The oral administration of this medicine improves circulation, detoxifies body, balances vata dosha, nourishes nerves, eliminates obstructions and gives relief in pain, stiffness and swelling.
It rejuvenates and strengthen neuromuscular system.
It nourishes bones and nerves.
It removes toxins accumulated in bod.
It maintains healthy metabolism.
It has anti-arthritis, alterative, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, circulation stimulant, carminative and muscle relaxant properties.
Therapeutic Uses of Yograj Guggulu
Yograj Guggulu is indicated in variety of diseases. It is one of the beat medicine for vata-vyadhis.
- Arthritis, Amavata/Rheumatoid arthritis
- Gout, rheumatism, Osteoporosis, low bone density
- Pain, cracking, coldness, dryness, swelling, deformation, numbness of joints
- Sciatica, neuralgia
- Lower back pain, pain in muscles
- Tingling sensation, tremors, stiffness
- Multiple sclerosis
- Carpel syndrome, Repetitive strain injury
- Painful periods
- Udararoga (diseases of abdomen)
- Dushtavrana (non-healing ulcer)
- Plihavriddhi (splenomegaly)
- Gulma (abdominal lump)
- Anaha (distension of abdomen)
- Arsha (piles)
- Agnimandya (digestive impairment)
- Daurbalya (weakness)
- Sandhigata Vata (osteoarthropathy)
- Majjagata Vata (bone marrow disorders)
Dosage of Yograj Guggulu
The recommended dosage of Yograj Guggulu is 500mg to 1 grams three times a day, with warm water or milk or as advised by the physician. Yograj Guggulu can be safely taken for longtime without side-effects.
Where to buy
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Dabur (Dabur Yogaraj Guggulu), Shree Baidyanath Ayurved Bhawan (Yogaraj Guggulu), Patanjali Divya Pharmacy (Divya Yograj Guggul), Shree Dhootapapeshwar Limited (Yogaraj Guggul), Pankajakasthuri Herbals India (Yogarajaguggulu Gulika), Vaidyaratnam Oushadhasala, Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala (YogarajaGuggulu Vatika) and some other pharmacies.