Mustakarishta/Mustarishtam/Mustakarishtam is a herbal Ayurvedic medicine prepared from Motha, Dhataki-pushpa, carom seeds, dry ginger powder, black pepper, cloves, fenugreek seeds, Chitrak, old jaggery etc. It is a general tonic useful in dyspepsia, digestive weakness, vomiting, dysentery, and diarrhea. It is a deepan (increases the digestive fire) and pachan (digestive).
Here is given more about Mustakarishta such as indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Ingredients of Mustakarishta
Mustakarishta is a fermented liquid preparation, made with ingredients in the Formulation composition given below. It contains not more than 10 per cent, and not less than 5 per cent of alcohol that is self-generated in the preparation over a period of time.
- Mustaka (Musta) Cyperus rotundus Rz. 2.4 kg
- Jala for decoction Water 12.2880 liter reduced to 3.072 liter
- Guda Jaggery 3.6 kg
- Dhataki Woodfordia fruticosa. Fl. 192 g
- Yamani (Yavani) Trachyspermum ammi Fr. 24 g
- Sonth Zingiber officinale Rz. 24 g
- Marica Piper longum Fr. 24 g
- Lavanga (Devapushpa) Syzygium aromaticum Fl. Bd. 24 g
- Methi Trigonella foenum-graecum Sd. 24 g
- Vahni ( Citraka) Plumbago zeylanica Rt. 24 g
- Jiraka (Shveta Jiraka) Cuminum cyminum Fr. 24 g
Lf.=Leaf;P.=Pericarp;Rt.=Root;Fr.=Fruit;Rz.=Rhizome;St.=Stem;Fl. Bd.=Flower Bud.
Method of Preparation
- Take the raw materials of Pharmacopoeial quality.
- Wash, dry and crush the ingredient numbered 1 (Kvatha Dravya) of the formulation composition and pass through the sieve number 44 to obtain coarse powder.
- Clean, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 5 to 11 (Prakshepa Dravya) of the formulation composition individually and pass through the sieve number 85 to obtain fine powder.
- Add specified amount of water to the Kvatha Dravya, soak overnight, heat, reduce to one fourth and filter through muslin cloth to obtain Kvatha.
- Add the ingredient number 3 of the formulation composition to the Kvatha, allow to dissolve and filter through the muslin cloth.
- Transfer the filtrate to a clean container;add Dhataki and other finely powdered Prakshepa Dravya. Seal the mouth of the container.
- Shift the container to the fermentation room and constantly check for the signs of completion of fermentation process.
- Filter the fermented material through a clean muslin cloth.
- Pack in air tight containers and allow for maturation.
Clear dark brown liquid without frothing and significant sedimentation;with aromatic odour and bitter taste.
Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protect from light and moisture.
Therapeutic Uses of Mustakarishta
- Ajirna (dyspepsia)
- Agnimandya (digestive impairment)
- Grahani (malabsorption syndrome)
- Gastro-enteritis with piercing pain
- Excellent for malabsorption syndrome in children, poor digestion, diarrhea, low appetite
Dose of Mustakarishta
12-24 ml orally with equal amount of water after meals twice a day.
Where to buy
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Dabur, Shree Baidyanath Ayurved Bhawan, Shri Bajranga Ayurved Bhawan Mustakarista, Kerala Ayurveda Mustharishtam, Pankajakasthuri Herbals India Mustharishtam, Vaidyaratnam Oushadhasala Mustharishtam, Kottakkal Mustharishtam, and some other pharmacies.