Neem seeds are known as nimboli. Nimboli contain 40% oil which is dark yellow in color, bitter and has strong smell. Neem oil (Margosa oil ) is very good for treating skin infections, headaches, hair graying, wounds and joint pain. This oil is very effective for treating skin problems.
Neem Oil/Leaves has pesticide effects so do not consume in high dosage internally. Externally uses of neem oil is sufficient.
Neem oil is analgesic, anthelminthic, antihistaminic, antiprotozoal, antipyretic, antiviral, bactericidal, fungicides and insecticide.
Latin Name: Azadirachta indica A. Juss., Melia azadirachta Linn. (Meliaceae)
Sanskrit/Indian name: Nimba, Nim, Nimb, Margosa Tree, Indian Lilac
One can get raw neem oil very easily in Indian market. Now days this is available in online stores also.
Here are some medicinal use of Neem Oil for treating various health problems
- Massage with neem oil and take 5 to 10 drops twice a day.
Premature hair greying:
- Put few drops of neem oil in nostril.
Wounds and boils:
- Mix neem oil and camphor. Now wash wound/boils with boiled neem leaves and dry with clean cloth. Put cotton soaked in mixed oil at affected area and tie with help of cloth. Do it for few days.
- Apply neem oil at affected area.
Control ticks and mites in pets:
- Neem oil can even applied externally on pets to kill ticks and mites.
Neem oil is very effective in dandruff treatment.
Neem oil and neem products must NOT be consumed by pregnant women, women trying to conceive, or children. It should not be taken in high quantity.
If burning sensation while applying neem oil then mix neem oil with sesame oil (til ka tel) in 1:1 ratio.