Punarnavarishta/ Punarnavadyarishta is an herbal Ayurvedic medicine. It is an Arishta prepared by fermenting the decoction of medicinal herbs for enhancing the therapeutic properties and better drug delivery on oral consumption.
The principle active ingredient of this medicine is Punarnava. Punarnava has significant diuretic and slight laxative properties. It is one of the important medicinal herb of Ayurveda which is used to treat diseases of liver and spleen. It is very effective in internal abscess, jaundice and piles. It improves the digestive system, reduces inflammation, cures the fluid retention and very useful in managing heart diseases. It is useful in managing the lipids and cholesterol in healthy limits. Punarnava shows beneficial effect in anemia, hernia and respiratory distress. It contains many flavonoids, alkaloids, steroids, triterpenoids, lipids, lignins, carbohydrates, proteins, glycoproteins, 14 amino acids, including 7 essential amino acids, large quantities of potassium nitrate, and punarnavine.
Ingredients of Punarnavarishta
Punarnavarishta/ Punarnavadyarishta/Punarnavarista is a fermented liquid preparation, made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below. It contains not more than 10 per cent, and not less than 5 per cent of alcohol that is self-generated in the preparation over a period of time.
Lf.=Leaf;P.=Pericarp;Rt.=Root;Fr.=Fruit;Rz.=Rhizome;St.=Stem;Fl. Bd.=Flower Bud.
Method of preparation
- Take the raw materials of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Wash, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 1 to 9 (Kvatha Dravya) of the formulation composition individually and pass through the sieve number 44 to obtain coarse powder.
- Clean, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 13 to 18 (Prakshepa Dravya) of the formulation composition individually and pass through the sieve number 85 to obtain fine powder.
- Add specified amount of water to the Kvatha Dravya, soak overnight, heat, reduce to half and filter through muslin cloth to obtain Kvatha.
- Add the ingredient number 11 of the formulation composition to the Kvatha, allow to dissolve and filter through the muslin cloth.
- Transfer the filtrate to a clean container;add Madhu, finely powdered Prakshepa Dravyas and seal the mouth of the container.
- Shift the container to the fermentation room and constantly check for the signs of completion of fermentation process.
- Filter the fermented material through a clean muslin cloth. Pack in air tight containers and allow for maturation.
Clear, dark brown liquid without frothing and significant sedimentation;with astringent taste.
Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protect from light and moisture.
Therapeutic use of Punarnavarishta
Punarnavarishta is useful in treatment of diseases of liver, jaundice, inflammation, and fluid retention in body. This medicine mainly works on liver and spleen, heart and urinary system. It gives strength to heart. It has diuretic action which helps to stimulate production of urine and thus helps in curing fluid retention in body. It has diuretic, alterative and hematinic properties.
- Jaundice, enlargement of liver and spleen
- Dropsy of hands, feet and body
- Regulates the function of the kidney
- Shotha (inflammatory diseases)
- Udararoga (abdominal diseases)
- Pliharoga (splenic disorders)
- Amlapitta (hyperacidity)
- Gulma (abdominal lump)
- Oedema or edema, ascites
- Jvara (fever), dengue fever
- Anemia, fluid retention
- Painful urination, burning sensation while urinating
Dose of Punarnavarishta
12-24ml orally with equal amount of water after meals twice a day. Or take as directed by physician.
Where to buy
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Dabur, Shree Baidyanath Ayurved Bhawan, Patanjali Divya Pharmacy, Shri Bajranga Ayurved Bhawanand some many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.