Khadirarishta /Khadirarishtam is a poly-herbal Ayurvedic medicine prepared from wood of catechu and pinus Deodara along with triphala, Dharuhaldi, Baguchi, Kababcheeni, cloves, small cardamoms, nutmeg, cinnamon, Nagkesar, black pepper, Tejpatra and other ingredients. It is a reputed medicine for treating skin diseases.
It is also indicated in worms, spleen enlargement, cough, heart diseases and gulma.
Here is given more about Khadirarishta such as indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Ingredients of Khadirarishta
Khadirarishta is a fermented liquid preparation made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below. It contains not more than 10 per cent, and not less than 5 per cent of alcohol that is self-generated in the preparation over a period of time.
Method of preparation
Take the raw materials of pharmacopoeial quality.
Wash, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 1 to 7 (Kvatha Dravya) of the formulation composition and pass through the sieve number 44 to obtain coarse powder. Clean, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 12 to 19 (Prakshepa Dravya) of the formulation composition individually and pass through the sieve number 85 to obtain fine powder.
Add specified amounts of water to the Kvatha Dravya, soak overnight, heat, reduce to one eighth and filter through muslin cloth to obtain Kvatha.
Add the ingredient number 10 of the formulation composition to the Kvatha, allow to dissolve and filter through the muslin cloth in to a clean container.
Add Dhataki, Madhu and other finely powdered Prakshepa Dravyas. Seal the mouth of the container.
Shift the container to the fermentation room and constantly check for the signs of completion of fermentation process.
Filter the fermented material through a clean muslin cloth.
Pack in air tight containers and allow for maturation.
Clear, dark brown liquid without frothing and significant sedimentation;with astringent taste.
Storage: Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protect from light and moisture.
Benefits of Khadirarishta
- It is an excellent blood purifier, laxative, anthelmintic, antibacterial and digestive.
- Its use eliminates blood toxins.
- Khadirarishta has triglyceride lowering and HDL improving activity.
Indications of Khadirarishta
- Khadirarishtam is indicated in all types of skin diseases, glandular enlargement, localized abdominal swelling or tumor, intestinal parasites/worms infestation, splenic enlargement, tumor and anemia.
- Skin diseases, leucoderma, leprosy, boils
- Impurities of blood
- Hridya roga (heart diseases), Krimi (worm infestation)
- Arbuda (tumor), Gulma (abdominal lump), Granthi (cysts)
- Kasa (cough), Shvasa (asthma)
- Splenomegaly, jaundice, and Pandu (anaemia)
- Diabetes and obesity
- Hypertriglyceridemia, hypercholesterolemia
Dosage of Khadirarishta
12-24 ml with equal amount of water after meals, twice a day, or as directed by physician.
Where to buy
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Dabur, Shree Baidyanath Ayurved Bhawan, Sandu, Patanjali Divya Pharmacy (Divya khadirarishta), Zandu, Shree Dhootapapeshwar Limited, Kottakkal (Khadirarishtam), Kerala Ayurveda (Khadirarishtam), Vaidyaratnam Oushadhasala (Khadirarishtam), Arya Vaidya Sala (Khadirarishtam), and some other pharmacies.