Maharasnadi Kadha is an herbal Ayurvedic formulation used in treatment of for inflammatory disorders. Maharasnadi kadha is prawahi quath in which herbs are boiled in water to make decoction and then fermented as in asava preparation. The key ingredient of this medicine is Rasna or Pluchea lanceolate. Rasna is used in Ayurveda form time immemorial to treat inflammatory disorders. Even the scientific studies done on this plant supports its traditional uses.
Maharasnadi Kwath gives relief in painful joints, pain in back, pain in muscles, gout, arthritis, rheumatism, sciatica, frozen shoulder, hemiplegia, inflammation of a nerve and many other similar ailments.
It is available in form of coarse herb mixture, ready-made preparations and tablets.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as indication/therapeutic uses, Key Ingredients and dosage.
Ingredients of Maharasnadi Kwath
- Rasna (Rt./Lf.) 50 Parts
- Dhanvayasa (Pl.) 1 Part
- Bala (Pl.) 1 Part
- Eranda-mula (Rt.) 1 Part
- Devadaru (Ht. Wd.) 1 Part
- Shathi (Shati) (Rz.) 1 Part
- Vaca (Rz.) 1 Part
- Vasaka (Vasa) (Rt.) 1 Part
- Nagara (Sunthi) (Rz.) 1 Part
- Pathya (Haritaki) (P.) 1 Part
- Chavya (St.) 1 Part
- Musta (Rz.) 1 Part
- Punarnava (Rakta Punarnava) (Rt.) 1 Part
- Guduchi (St.) 1 Part
- Vriddhadaru (Rt.) 1 Part
- Shatapushpa (Shatahva) (Fr.) 1 Part
- Gokshura (Fr.) 1 Part
- Ashvagandha (Rt.) 1 Part
- Prativisha (Ativisha) (Rt.) 1 Part
- Kritamala (Aragvadha) (Fr.P.) 1 Part
- Shatavari (Rt.Tr.) 1 Part
- Krishna (Pippali) (Fr.) 1 Part
- Sahacara (Pl.) 1 Part
- Dhanyaka (Fr.) 1 Part
- Kantakari (Pl.) 1 Part
- Brihati (Pl.) 1 Part
- Prkshepa dravya: Shunthi Churna, Pippali Churna. Ajamodadi Churna, Eranda Taila
Rasna:Rasna consists of dried leaf and roots of Pluchea lanceolata. Its official substitute is Alpinia galanga.
The stem and leaves contain moretenol, moretenol acetate, neolupenol, octacosanoic, hexacosanoic and tetracosanoic acid, tetracosanol, hexacosanol, triacontanol, stigmasterol and beta-sitosterol-D-glucoside.
Rasna is Tikta (Rasa), Guru (Guna), Ushna (Virya), and Katu vipak. It pacifies Kapha and Vata.
Rasna root is fragrant, bitter and useful in rheumatism and other inflammatory disorders. Its stem, leaves are muscle relaxant. Along with other herbal ingredients the roots are useful in all nervous diseases and rheumatism.
A Scientific study was done on anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic activities of in vivo and in vitro plant parts of Pluchea lanceolata. This study confirms the traditional medicinal uses of the plant due to presence of presence of several physiologically active phytochemicals such as phenols, flavonoids, triterpenoids, steroids and glycosides and supported the isolation and the use of active constituents from in vivo and in vitro plant parts of Pluchea lanceolata in treating inflammations and rheumatism.
Benefits of Maharasnadi Kwath
- It gives relief in acute and chronic pain and inflammation in body.
- It is an herbal medicine.
- It improves appetite.
- It pacifies Vata dosha.
- It is Vataghna and Amanashak.
- It is bitter tonic, aperient and diuretic.
- It cures infertility and helps in Garbha sthapan (establishing pregnancy).
- It is also useful in spermatorrhoea.
Therapeutic uses of Maharasnadi Kwath
- Sarvanga Kampa (Generalized tremors)
- Kubja Vata (Kyphosis)
- Pakshaghata (Paralysis/Hemiplegia)
- Gridhrasi (Sciatica)
- Amavata (Rheumatism)
- Shlipada (Filariasis)
- Avabahuka (Brachialgia)
- Apatanaka (Tetanic convulsions)
- Antra Vriddhi (Hernia)
- Adhmana (Flatulance with gurgling sound)
- Jangha Janugata Vata (Pain in calf and knee)
- Ardita (Facial palsy)
- Shukraroga (Diseases of semen)
- Medhraroga (Penile diseases)
- Vandhyatva (Infertility)
- Yoniroga (Disease of female genital tract)
Dosage of Maharasnadi Kwath
Mix 15-30 ml with equal quantity of water and drink after the meal.
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Baidyanath (Maharasnadi Kadha), Dabur (Maharasnadi Kwath (Kadha)), Kerala Ayurveda (Maharasnadi Kwath;Maharasnadi Kwath Tablet), Arya Vaidya Sala (Maharasnadi Kwatham Tablets;1 tablet=5 ml decoction), Jiva (Maharasnadi Kwath) and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.