Sitopaladi Churna is a polyherbal Ayurvedic medicine. It is prepared by combining sixteen parts Rock Candy, eight parts Bamboo-Manna, four parts Long Pepper, two parts Lesser cardamom and one part Cinnamon.
Sitopaladi Churna is a classical medicine referenced from Sharngadharasamhita, Madhyamakhanda, Adhyaya 6:134-137) and prepared by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
It is a safe-herbal Ayurvedic medicine to treat common cold, cough, catarrh, phthisis with pain in the sides, loss of appetite, fever, debility, burning sensation in extremities, sore throat, sinus congestion etc. It is especially used in fever associated with yellow or green mucus, sore throat, and cough.
Traditionally, Sitopaladi Churna, was used for tuberculosis and other wasting diseases. Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Ingredients of Sitopaladi Churna
Sitopaladi Churna, is prepared by combining fine powder of flowing ingredients.
- Sitotpala (Sita) 192 g
- Vamsha Locana (Vamsha) (Silicacious Concretion) 96 g
- Pippali (Fr.) 48 g
- Ela (Sukshmaila) (Sd.) 24 g
- Tvak (St. Bk.) 12 g
The chief ingredient of this medicine is Sitopala or Sita and hence it is called Sitopaladi Churna. Sitopala is Ayurvedic name of Mishri.
Mishri/ raw sugar/ candy sugar or Rock candy consist of big white, sweet lumps of crystals. It is obtained by cooling supersaturated sugar solution.
Mishri has demulcent, cooling, aphrodisiac and taste improving properties. Mishri intake increases weight and gives energy. It reduces Vata/wind inside body. It improves the taste of medicine. It is indicated in cough, burning in the chest, tastelessness, and digestive disorders. It increases bile secretion and supports digestion. The combination of fennel and Mishri is chewed after meals as mouth freshener.
Vamsalochana/ Vanshlochan/ Bamboo Manna (25.81%):
Vansa is Ayurvedic name of medicinal tree Bambusa arundinacea. The siliceous concretion found in the joints of the female bamboo is called Vamsalochana/ Bansa rochana in Sanskrit. It occurs as a bluish white translucent mass. It has sweet, cooling, tonic, expectorant, haemostatic, aphrodisiac, diuretic and anti-cough properties. It is useful in cough, consumption, asthma, bronchitis, fever etc. It is added in composition of numerous compound prescriptions used for affections of the lungs.
Pippali is heating, stimulant, carminative, alterative, laxative and useful in cough, hoarseness, asthma, dyspepsia, paralysis etc.
Pippali powder is used with honey to treat cough, asthma, hoarseness, hiccup and sleeplessness. It is an alterative tonic.
Choti Elaichi (6.45%):
Elaichi is known as lesser cardamom in English. It is cool in potency. It is Tridosh-har, digestive, carminative, nutritive, laxative, and expectorant. It has diuretic action and gives relief in urinary disorders. The seeds are useful in asthma, bronchitis, throat disorders, piles, gas, vomiting, digestive disorders and cough.
Dalchini is bark of a tree. It is sweet, pungent, astringent and hot condiment. It is reduces Vata and Kapha but increases Pitta. It mainly works on digestive, respiratory and urinary system. It has alterative, analgesic, antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic, anti-rheumatic, antispasmodic, aromatic, astringent, carminative, demulcent, diaphoretic, digestive, diuretic, expectorant, germicide, hemostatic, stimulant and stomachic properties. Dalchini or Cinnamon, promotes digestion and cures respiratory ailments. It is useful for both digestive and respiratory system.
Benefits of Sitopaladi Churna
- It balances Vata-Pitta-Kapha.
- It has antitussive (prevent or relieve a cough) property.
- It is anti- cough and expectorant action.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is effective in fevers that are caused by cough, flue and respiratory ailments.
- It improves appetite and helps in indigestion.
- It reduces burning sensation in extremities.
- It is good for digestive system due to its carminative and digestive properties.
- It gives relief in asthma caused by bilious disorders.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Sitopaladi Churna
- Dry and wet cough, cold, coryza, sore throat, sinus congestion, fever
- Arochaka (tastelessness)
- Agnimandya (digestive impairment)
- Pittaja shvasa (asthma due to pitta dosha)
- Burning sensation in palms and soles
- Parshva shula (intercostal neuralgia and pleurodynia)
- Kshaya (pthisis= pulmonary tuberculosis or a similar progressive wasting disease)
- Suptajihvatva (numbness of tongue)
- Urdhvagata raktapitta (bleeding from orifices of the upper part of the body)
- Haemoptysis (coughing up of blood)
- Bronchitis (inflammation of the mucous membrane in the bronchial tubes caused by bronchospasm and coughing)
- Pulmonary tuberculosis
- Asthma (respiratory condition marked by attacks of spasm in the bronchi of the lungs, causing difficulty in breathing. It is usually connected to allergic reaction or other forms of hypersensitivity)
- Rhinitis (inflammation of the mucous membrane of the nose, caused by a virus infection or by an allergic reaction)
- Sitopaladi churna is given with Abhrak Bhasma and Ghee in Tuberculosis/ T.B.
- For typhoid or malaria (recurring fevers) is sitopaladi Churna is given with warm water, thrice a day for 8 weeks.
Dosage of Sitopaladi Churna
It should be taken in dose of 1-4 grams, 2-4 times a day. Or take as directed by physician.
The adjunct/ Anupan, which is an administered along with or just after the medicine to enhance its therapeutic action, for this medicine is honey.
Please note, the doses of Ayurvedic medicines are not fixed. Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Baidyanath (Sitopaladi Churna), Dabur (Sitopaladi Churna), Zandu (Sitopaladi Churna), Vyas Pharma (Sitopaladi Churna), Patanjali Divya Pharmacy (Divya Sitopaladi Churna), and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.