Kutajarishta/ Kutajarishtam is polyherbal classical Ayurvedic formulation. The main ingredient of this medicine is Kutaj bark. The other ingredients of this medicine are Munakka, Mahua Flower, Gambhari Bark, Old Gud/jaggery and Dhataki pushpa.
Kutajarishta is a very good and effective medicine to treat dysentery, hemorrhoids and sprue. It is also useful in chronic fever. Due to its astringent action, it is also indicated in bleeding piles. It reduces phlegm and hence also useful in excessive cough.
This medicine has following properties:
Astringent: Cause shrinkage of mucous membranes, used internally to check discharge of blood serum or mucous secretions e.g. in hemorrhages, diarrhea, or with peptic ulcers.
Stimulant: medicines that temporarily quickens some vital process or the functional activity of some organs.
Anti-dysenteric: tending to relieve or prevent dysentery.
Anti-periodic: preventing periodic returns of disease.
Digestive: promotes the digestion of food.
It decreases vata and kapha in body.
Here is given more about Kutajarishta such as indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Key Ingredients of Kutajarishta
The complete list of ingredients is given below:
1 Kutaja कुटज
2 Draksha द्राक्षा
3 Madhuka Pushpa महुआ
(Madhuka) Madhuca indica
4 Gambhari गंभारी
5 Jala पानी
for decoction 49.152 liter reduced to 12.288 liter
6 Guda गुड
7. Dhataki धातकी
Method of preparation
- Take the raw materials of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Wash, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 1 and 4 (Kvatha Dravya) of the formulation composition.
- Wash and clean the ingredients numbered 2 and 3 (Kvatha Dravya) of the formulation composition.
- Add specified amount of water to the Kvatha Dravya, soak overnight, heat, reduce to one fourth and filter through muslin cloth to obtain Kvatha.
- Add the ingredient number 6 of the formulation composition to the Kv¡tha, allow to dissolve and filter through the muslin cloth.
- Transfer the filtrate to a clean container;add Dhataki and seal the mouth of the container.
- Shift the container to the fermentation room and constantly check for the signs of completion of fermentation process.
- Filter the fermented material through a clean muslin cloth.
- Pack in air tight containers and allow for maturation.
Clear dark brown liquid without frothing and significant sedimentation;with aromatic odour and bitter taste.
Benefits and Uses of Kutajarishta or Kutajarishtam
Benefits of Kutajarishta
- This medicine strengthen digestive power.
- It treats loose motion and bloody dysentery.
- It is completely herbal and does not pose health risks.
- It is easily available. In North India it is called 'Kutajarishta' and in Southern part 'Kutajarishtam'.
- Grahani (malabsorption syndrome), Sprue
- Pravahika (dysentery), Chronic diarrhea
- Rakt-atisara (diarrhea with blood)
- Chronic fever, long continued fever
- Colitis, Bleeding Piles with discharge of mucus
- Corrects digestion, appetite and assimilation
- Also useful in cough
Dosage of Kutajarishta
- The recommended dosage of Kutajarishta is 15 - 30 ml orally.
- It should be mixed with equal amount of water.
- Take this medicine after meals twice a day.
Kutajarishta is manufactured by Dabur, Shree Baidyanath Ayurved Bhawan, Patanjali Divya Pharmacy, Sandu, Oushadhasala (Kutajarishtam), Kerala Ayurveda (Kutajarishtam), Kottakkal (Kutajarishtam) and some other pharmacies.
You can buy this medicine online or from pharmacy stores.