Gudhal is also known as shoe flower and china rose. Its leaves and flowers are used in Ayurvedic medicines and various home remedies. This flower can be found through out Asia and in many pats of world. This flowering plan has many medicinal properties and very effective in treatment of various health problems.
It is used in folk medicine for the treatment of pain and various inflammatory conditions such as the inflammation of oral mucosa, blennorrhoea, and asthmatic bronchitis. Leaves and roots are edible. The leaves have anodyne, antidotal, demulcent, expectorant and refrigerant properties. Flowers are used as antiphlogistic, depurative, febrifuge, pulmonary and stimulant. This part is also used in treatment of burns, pectoral and pulmonary complaints, swellings and other skin problems. A decoction of the flowers is used in the treatment of lung ailments. This plant is recommended for chronic cough, menorrhagia, dysuria and wound caused by burn and scalds. Flowers are good source of vitamins, flavonoids, ascorbic acid, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine and cyaniding diglucoside.
Kingdom – Plantae, Subkingdom – Tracheobionta, Super division – Spermatophyta, Division – Magnoliophyta, Class – Magnoliopsida, Subclass – Dilleniidae, Order – Malvales, Family – Malvaceae, Genus – Hibiscus, Species - Hibiscus rosa-sinensis
Sanskrit- japa, Hindi- jasum, Gulhar, Bengali- jaba, English- Chinese hibiscus, Shoe flower, China rose, Malayalam- Bunga Raya, Tamil- Sembaruthi, Telugu- Dasananu. Tribal name: HinduMa-pangi (Marma), Raktajaba(Chakma)
Description of the plant
Leaves: Leaves are simple ovate or ovate- lanceolate. Leaves are entire at the base and coarsely toothed at the apex. Taste is mucilaginous.
Flowers: Flowers are pedicillate, actinomorphic, pentamerous and complete. Corolla consists of 5 petals, red in colour and about 3 inches in diameter.
Roots: Cylindrical of 5-15 cm length and 2 cm in diameter, off white in colour light brown transverse lenticies. Its fracture is fibrous. Roots taste sweet and mucilaginous.
Varieties: Many varieties exist differing in size and colour, in single (or) double forms. The important colours include Red, White, Yellow, and Light Red.
Flowers decoction is very useful in bronchial catarrh. Infusion of flowers petal acts as refrigerant drink in fever and acts as demulcent in cough and useful in strangury, cystitis and other genito-urinary problem. It flowers & leaves are great remedies for hair problem like hair loss and hair greying. The flowers fried in butter is very effective for excessive menstruation. The leaves of the plant are used in fatigue and skin disease.
Hibiscus Home Remedies
- In excess menstrual bleeding drinking Hibiscus tea with cinnamon is very effective. It also provides supplemental iron in menorrhagia, as low serum iron causes the blood vessels in the uterus to lose their capacity to constrict which increase menstrual bleeding.
- For hair fall and dandruff, Take 10-15 leaves or flowers of gudhal and 100 gm of coconut oil and cook at very low flame as coconut oil may catch fire at high flame, cook till the leaves are completely cooked then drain it and keep thus formed oil in bottle and use it.
- For leucorrhea, Take 3 flowers empty stomach with a glass of water in morning.
- For Mouth ulcers, Chew 3-4 leaves of gudhal.
- For indigestion and acidity, Take 3-4 leaves with water it removes toxins from body.
- For Anemia, Drink decoction of its leaves with water.
- For weakness, Eat gulkand of gudhal flower. For making gulkand take flowers and put them with equal amount of misri(candy sugar) in jar and keep it daily in sun. After few days gulkand would be ready to eat and take it 1-2 spoon daily.
- For cough, Take 5-10 gm of root and boil in 400 gm of water till water reduces to ¼ drain and drink.