Laooq-e-Sapistan is an herbal Unani medicine. It is Laooq or linctus and is
taken by licking with tongue. Laooq is Arabic word for Licking. The principle
ingredients of this medicine is Sapistan (Cordia dichotama, C. latifolia fruit),
and hence the medicine is Laooq Sapistan. This Unani formulation is used in
treatment of cold, cough and respiratory ailments.
- Synonym: Lauq Sapistan
- Type of medicine: Unani Herbal
- Product Name: Laooq Sapistan
- Product Form: Powder
- Manufacturer: Hamdard Laboratories, Qarshi
Unani System of medicine evolved Greece and was first introduced to India by
the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani tibb, Arabian
medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system
of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his
It is traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The
origins of Unani medicine are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek
physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through
systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicine are prepared from medicinal
plants, minerals, animals products etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their
combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The
naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side
Ingredients of Laooq Sapistan
- Sapistan (Cordia dichotama, C. latifolia fruit) 100 grams
- Unnab (Zizyfus sativa fruit) 50 grams
- Koknar (Papaver somniferum capsule) 20 grams
- Asl-us-soos (Glycerrhiza glabra root) 10gm
- Parsiyaoshan / Persiaoshan (Adiantum capillus veresis) 10 grams
- Tukhme-e-Khatmi (Althea officinalis seed) 5gm
- Tukhme-e-Khubbazi (Malva sylvestris seed) 5gm
- Behidana (Cydonia quincy seed) 5gm
- Qand Safaid 1.5 Kg
- Sheera-e-Maghz-e-Badam 10 gram
- Sheera-e-Tukhme Khashkhash (Papaver somniferum seed) 10 gram
- Katira 5 gram
- Samagh-e-Arbi 5 gram
- Rubbussoos (Glycyrrhiza glabra extract) 5gm
Benefits of Laooq Sapistan
- It is herbal remedy.
- It is safe to take.
- It is beneficial in cold and cough.
- It is very effective Munaffis (expectorant).
- It is gives relief in phlegm.
- It is effective in cold, cough, and whooping cough.
- It reduces inflammation of the pharynx (sore throat). tonsils and the voice
box from overuse, irritation or infection.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Laooq Sapistan
- Nazla (Catarrh)
- Sual-e-Muzmin / Sual Muzmin (Chronic Cough)
- Upper respiratory tract infections
Dosage of Laooq Sapistan
The drug is taken in dose of 10 grams, mixed with warm water. It is herbal
medicine without any known side effect.