Swarna Bhasma is considered elixir. It is a Rasayana. It is best rejuvenator that promotes longevity and prevents ageing. It gives complexion, strength, and cures diseases caused by vitiation of Vata-Pitta-Kapha. It is used in management of Visha or poisoning. Swarn Bhasma is used in treatment of T.B., fever, cough, worms, low appetite, diseases of eyes, weakness of heart and poisoning. It improves strength and potency.
The calcined powder of gold, known as Swarna Bhasma is used as Rasayana, Vajikarak (aphrodisiac), Medhya (brain tonic, nootropic), Smriti vardhaka (improves memory) due to its adaptogen, immunomodulator, neuroprotective, tonic, antacid, hematinic and alterative properties.
Swarna or Gold is a precious metal. It is formed with earth and is found in
mines, primitive rocks and alluvial deposits. When the rocks inside which this
shining metal is enclosed are eroded, gold comes out in form of pieces, flakes,
or as nuggets. If the rocks are inside river, gold can be seen flowing with
The largest known deposits of gold are in India and Africa. The deepest
underground gold mine in India is Champion Reef Mine, located on the Kolar
District of Karnataka, India. The mining of gold from this place started at
least as early as the first millennium BC with linkages to the Indus Valley
civilization. The golden objects found in Harappa and Mohenjo-daro have been
traced to Kolar Gold Fields through an impurities-analysis assay.
In India, gold was used mainly for two purposes in ancient times, for making
of ornaments, artifacts and preparation of medicine (Swarn Patra/gold leaf, and
Swarna Bhasma/ incinerated gold). The mention of use of gold as medicine is
found in all ancient classic treatise of Ayurveda, including Charak Samhita
(1500 BC), Sushruta Samhita (1000 BC) and Ashtang Hridya (400 AD).
Here is given more about Swarna Bhasma, such as benefits,
indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Synonyms: Swarn Bhasma, Svarna Bhasma, Suvarna Bhasma
- Reference Text: Rasatarangini
- Type of medicine: Classical Ayurvedic Medicine
- Purpose: Tonic, Unisex
- MRP / Price: Swarn Bhasma is manufactured by many pharmacies. Since gold is a precious metal so is this preparation. It is very costly.
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Description: Dark brown in color, faint odour, fine to touch, tasteless
Swarna Bhasma contains more than 90% of gold particles of approximately 28–35
nm (nanometer= 1×10−9 meter) size.
Use of Gold as medicine in modern times: Since 1929, Gold
compounds are used in treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and arthritis due to its
Use of gold compound in treatment of rheumatoid arthritis gives relief in
inflammation, pain and inhibits progression of disease in 70 % of treated
patients. Treatment of diseases using gold salts is known as chrysotherapy or
Synonyms for Svarna(Gold
- Sanskrit: Swarn, Suvarna, Kanaka, Hema, Hataka, Brahma Kanchana, Chamikara, Shata Kumbha, Tapaniya, Rukmakam, Jaambu Nada, Hiranya, Suratna, Jaatrupkam And Jata Rupakam
- English: Gold
- Hindi: Sona
- Bengali: Sonar
- Gujrati: Sonum
- Malayalam: Tangam
- Telugu: Bangaroo
- Tamil: Ponnu
- French and German: Geld
- Arabic: Zahab
- Sinhalese: Ran ta hadu
- Chemical name: Aurum (meaning glowing dawn)
- Symbol: Au
Ingredients used in preparation of Swarna Bhasma
The general preparation of Swarna Bhasma involves Shodhan
(purification/potentiation) and Marana (incineration/calcinations) of pure gold
Gold Leaves (Sone ka vark) are heated over fire and dipped in sesame oil when
they are red hot, and the process is continued seven times separately. The soft
leaves are processed in the same manner with buttermilk, cow’s urine, and the
decoction of kulatha (Dolichos biflorus), kanji (sour gruel processed from rice
Oryza sativa). This purifies gold.
After this calcination is done. It is prepared by rubbing together one part
of mercury and 1 part of leaf gold into to a mass with lemon juice. It is placed
in a crucible with three parts of sulphur. The crucible is then covered and
exposed to heat. This process is repeated 14 times when the gold completely
loses its metallic character, and becomes reduced to a dark brown impalpable
powder. In another type pf Maran, Malla, Kachnaar bark and Tulsi is used for
- Svarna Q. S.
- Taila (Tila) (Ol) Q. S. for nirvapana
- Takra Q. S. for nirvapana
- Kanjika Q. S. for nirvapana
- Gomutra Q. S. for nirvapana
- Kulattha-kashaya (Sd) Q. S. for nirvapana
Marana / incineration (A):
- Svarna-Shuddha 1Part
- Suta (Parada)-Shuddha 1 Part
- Gandhaka-Shuddha 3Parts
Marana / incineration (B):
- Svarna-Shuddha 1Part
- shvetamallaka (Malla) 1 Part
- Kanchanara-drava (St. Bk) Q. S. for mardhana
- Tulsi-svarasa (Pl) Q. S. for mardhana
Composition of Standard Swarna Bhasma
- Free sulfur: no less than 1.43% w/w and no more than 6.39% w/w
- Sulfur: no more than 3.33% w/w
- Calcium: no more than 1.625% w/w
- Sodium: no more than 0.922% w/w
- Potassium: no more than 0.370% w/w
- Sulfate: no more than 3.00% w/w
- Copper: no more than 17.2% w/w
- Iron oxide (ferric): no more than 85.0% w/w
- Iron oxide (ferrous): no more than 5.7% w/w
- Iron: no less than 36.0% w/w and not more than 51.96% w/w
- Phosphate as PO4: no more than 1.101% w/w
- Silica: no more than 3.8% w/w
- Acid insoluble: no more than 11.93% w/w
Ayurvedic Properties and Action of Swarna Bhasma
Swarna Bhasma is astringent, sweet and bitter in taste (Rasa), sweet after
digestion (Vipaka), and is cool in effect (Virya). It has moisturizing and
unctuous effect on body. It rejuvenative and immunity booster.
It is Sheet Virya. Sheet Virya or Cool potency preparations, subdues Pitta
(Bile) and Vata (Wind), gives nourishment and steadiness and supports building
of body fluids. Due to unique composition of Swarna Bhasma it pacifies all three
Dosha, Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
- Rasa (taste on tongue): Kashaya (Astringent), Madhura (Sweet), Tikta (Bitter, slightly)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu, Snigdha (Unctuous)
- Virya (Action): Shita (Cooling)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Madhura (Sweet)
Karma / Action
- Hridya: Good for heart
- Kaphahara: Pacifies Kapha Dosha
- Ojvardhak: Strength promoting
- Pittahara: Pacifies Pitta Dosha
- Rasayan: Alternative tonics, prevent or remove the effects of age, increase the vigour of healthy persons and cure the ailments of the sick
- Tridoshahara: Corrects the imbalance of Vata, Pitta and Kapha
- Virya vardhak: increases semen
- Vajikarak: Aphrodisiac are medicines which increase the sexual power
- Vishahar: Detoxifier
Swarna Bhasma is Madhur Vipak. Madhur-Vipak digests into sweet. It has
building, moistening and nourishing effect on body. It is heavy to digest and
reduces metabolism. It is cooling and reduces swelling. Madhur Vipak has
Anabolic effect on body.
Swarna Bhasma is especially useful in chronic diseases such as chronic fever,
malabsorption syndrome, tuberculosis, weakness of nerves, infertility, impotency
Swarna bhasma is one of the best heart tonic. It strengthens heart and blood
arteries. It is excellent medicine for Sannipata (tridoshaj) diseases.
Ayurvedic Formulation Containing Swarna Bhasma
- Brihat Vata Chintamani Rasa
- Vasant Kusumakar Rasa
- Swasa Kasa Chintamani Ras
- Purna Chandrodaya Rasa
- Sutasekhara Rasa
- Brihat Garbha Chintamani Rasa
- Yogendra Ras
- Swarna Parpati
- Makardhwaj and many more
Swarna Amrit Prashana or Swarna Bindu Prashana: Swarna Bhasma is given
to children of age 0-16 years in form of Swarna Bindu Prashana to promote better
growth. This is preventive measure. It immunizes the babies against common
diseases of infancy. It is safe and time-tested medicine without any known side
Important Medicinal Properties
- Alexeteric: Counteracts an infection or toxin.
- Antidote: Counteracts a poison.
- Anticonvulsant: Prevent or reduce the severity of epileptic fits or other convulsions.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Analgesic: Relieve pain.
- Antirheumatic: Alleviating or preventing rheumatism.
- Anti-ageing: against ageing.
- Anthelmintic: Antiparasitic, expel Parasitic worms (helminths) and other internal parasites from the body.
- Anti-asthmatic: Treat or prevent asthma attacks.
- Anti-anxiety: Reduces anxiety.
- Anti-depressant: Reduces depression.
- Cardiostimulant: Stimulates heart.
- Detoxifier: Purifying.
- Hepatotonic: Liver tonic.
- Immunomodulatory: Modifies the immune response or the functioning of the immune system.
- Nervine tonic: tonic for nerves
- Nootropic: Enhance memory or other cognitive functions.
- Tonic: Restore or improve health or well-being.
Benefits of Swarna Bhasma
Swarn Bhasma and its preparations are nervine and aphrodisiac tonic. It is
used in Ayurveda for Rasayan Chiktisa.
- It increases sexual powers.
- It is emmenagogue and alterative.
- It is brain tonic and improves brain function.
- It improves intellect and memory.
- It improves body immunity to fight infections.
- It increases strength and beauty.
- It gives glow to skin.
- It clears the voice.
- It stimulates the activity of the stomach.
- It combats aging and treat impotency.
- It is antioxidant.
- It works on whole body.
- It improves hemoglobin level and cures anemia.
- It is useful in fevers, consumption, insanity, diseases of the nervous system and urinary organs, hysteria, epilepsy, leprosy, asthma, nervous dyspepsia, amenorrhea, impotence, sterility, habitual abortion, chronic Bright's disease, anemia, neurasthenia, bronchitis, tuberculosis, leukoderma, rheumatoid arthritis, syphilis and scrofula.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Swarna Bhasma
1st Variety of Marana A:
- Impaired intelligence Buddhi kshaya
- Epilepsy Apasmara
- Loss of memory Smriti hani
- Mania/Psychosis Unmada
- Malabsorption syndrome Grahni
- Dyspepsia Amlapitta
- Anemia Pandu
- Hiccup Hikka
- Dyspnea/Asthma Shvasa
- Fever Jvara
- Tissue wasting Dhatu Kshaya
- Tuberculosis Rajayakshma
- Rupture of ligaments Snayu daurbalya
- Heart disease Hridroga
- Disease due to Vatadosha Vataroga
- Change in complexion Varna Hani
- Syphilis Phiranga
- Poison Visha
- Hoarseness of voice Svarabheda
- Erectile dysfunction Shighra patan
- Loss of libido
- Sexual weakness Yaun durbalta
2nd Variety of Marana b:
- Diseases of skin Kushtha
- Mania/Psychosis Unmada
- Tuberculosis Rajayakshma
- Senility/Progeriasis Jara
- Poison Visha
Dosage of Swarna Bhasma
Swarna Bhasma is taken in low doses in direct supervision of physician.
The recommended dose is 15-30 mg with the addition of Honey or ghee or with
fluid vehicle (anupan) depending on disease.
- Swarna Bhasma is taken with following anupan:
- Aphrodisiac / Vajikarak: Vidari kand churna + honey;
- Anti-ageing: Shankhapushpi Churna + honey;
- Asthma, respiratory ailments: Drakshasava;
- Burning sensation: Ama murabba;
- Cardiac tonic: ginger juice + honey;
- Intellect: Bach Powder + honey;
- Impotency, Namardi: Makardhwaj + Mukta pishti;
- Prameha, Pitta Pradhan: Amla juice / Giloy Juice;
- Tuberculosis: Praval Pishti + Giloy satva;
- Weak eyesight: Punarnava churna;
- While taking Swarna Bhasma, do not take Bilva fruit.
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Name of some of
Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine are given below:
- Baidyanath (Swarna Bhasma), price Rs. 1,297.00 for 125 mg; Rs. 4,490.00 for 500 mg; Rs. 8,746.00 for 1 gram.
- Dabur (Swarna Bhasma), price Rs. 1,275.00 for 125 milligrams.
- Shri Dhootapapeshwar Limited (Suvarna Bhasma), price approx. Rs. 2,013.00 for 200mg; 10 tabs for Rs. 1,750.00; 30 tabs for Rs. 5,017.00 and 1 gram at Rs. 9,618.00.
- Zandu (SUVARNA BHASMA), price Rs 4,200.00 for 500 mg.
- Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala (Swarna Bhasmam Capsules) Price Rs. 3456.00 for 50 mg.
and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
In large doses, Swarn Bhasma act like irritant poison setting up
gastro-enteritis with convulsions, cramps, insensibility etc. The antidotes are
egg albumen, milk, flour etc.
Raw gold / improperly prepared Bhasma are very harmful for body. Such Bhasma
can cause weakness, impotency, toxicity etc. Always purchase from well-known and
established Ayurvedic pharmacy.