Fever is most common indication of our body when we got some infection or some other problem. Fever is not a disease it self but it is a method of our body immune system to fight with any external viral, parasites or bacteria. Our body increases temperature to fight with these external organism.
Most common reasons for fever are viral, bacterial or parasite infections. Most of the infections except Dengue, Malaria, Typhoid etc are go away by itself and these infections are known as viral infections.
If any one got fever with cold and cough then it is an indication of simple flu or viral infection. In viral infection fever is mild (102 0C) then you should try to control it by sponging and if required you should use paracetamol. If fever is lasting for more than 3 days then you should visit a doctor or hospital for further examination and treatment.
Things to take care during viral fever:
- First and most important thing is measuring body temperature, always use a thermometer for measuring body temperature please do not use you hands to measure it.
- Note down body temperature at least 3-4 times in a days on paper for record.
- Many people stops eating when they got fever, this is very bad thing. In fever one should eat more nutritious foods.
- In condition of cold and cough, one should drink more water and should intake more liquid food because hydrated body recovers more effectively from these infections and cough will not get dry.
- Use sponge for controlling fever and if required give paracetamol tablets/suspension and make sure you are using paracetamol when temperature is high(more than 100 0C)
- Try to wear cotton cloths and do not wear woolen in case of fever
- If fever is not going away(higher than 102 0C) after 3 days then visit a doctor or hospital for treatment.
- If you are suffering from viral then you should avoid crowded places.
For measuring body temperature always use standard thermometer either conventional or digital thermometer.
For measuring temperature of infants and small children(6 Yr) use armpit to measure temperature.
In conventional thermometer bring level of mercury at least 96 0C the put into armpit and wait for 5 minutes and in digital wait for long beep then note temperature.